Problem triggering picoscope 6000 externaly from atmega168

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
TMoabalobelo

Problem triggering picoscope 6000 externaly from atmega168

Post by TMoabalobelo »

hi,

I am a new user of the picoscope 6000 (never used it before). i'm working on a project, whereby i have to measure the power consumption traces of an Atmega168 microcontroller. So now i'm having problems with triggering the scope externally. Would yould please assist in that regard as I need to present a demo ASAP.

thank you in advance

Hitesh

Re: Problem triggering picoscope 6000 externaly from atmega1

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

Are you using the PicoScope software or the software development kit?

What kind of signal are you sending into the External Trigger port on the back of the device?

If you are using PicoScope please try the following videos which should help:

http://www.picoscope.tv/general/triggering-menus.html

http://www.picoscope.tv/general/trigger ... asics.html

http://www.picoscope.tv/general/advance ... modes.html

http://www.picoscope.tv/general/logic-trigger.html

Best wishes,

TMoabalobelo

Post by TMoabalobelo »

hi,
thanks for your help.
I'm using the picoscope software development kit. I was hoping to trigger the scope externally by sending a signal from the atmega168, by so doing instructing the scope to capture the power consumption traces of the atmega controller.

I'll look at the videos and see how can they be of help.

Thanks

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

With the SDK, you will need to use the PS6000_EXTERNAL enumeration for the channel source. If you are using the ps6000SetSimpleTrigger() function, this is straightforward.

If you are using advanced triggering, you will need to create a Trigger Conditions structure where you set the external trigger state to PS6000_CONDITION_TRUE.

Please refer to the PS6000 Console application example e.g.:

Code: Select all

void CollectBlockTriggered(UNIT * unit)
{
	short	triggerVoltage = mv_to_adc(100, unit->channelSettings[PS6000_CHANNEL_A].range);

struct tPS6000TriggerChannelProperties sourceDetails = {	triggerVoltage, 256 * 10, triggerVoltage, 256 * 10, PS6000_EXTERNAL, PS6000_LEVEL};

struct tPS6000TriggerConditions conditions = {	PS6000_CONDITION_DONT_CARE, PS6000_CONDITION_DONT_CARE, PS6000_CONDITION_DONT_CARE, PS6000_CONDITION_DONT_CARE, PS6000_CONDITION_TRUE, PS6000_CONDITION_DONT_CARE, PS6000_CONDITION_DONT_CARE};

struct tTriggerDirections directions = { PS6000_NONE, PS6000_NONE, 							PS6000_NONE, PS6000_NONE, RISING, PS6000_NONE };  	

// Rest of function code
}

What kind of signals are you outputting from the ATMEGA168, and what voltage range does it provide?

Which programming language are you using for your application?

Regards,

TMoabalobelo

Post by TMoabalobelo »

hi,

the type of signals are dc signals and the voltage ranges are 2.7 - 5.5 volts. i think :?

TMoabalobelo

Post by TMoabalobelo »

Hi,
I am using c language. is it possible to use the trigger settings on the pico software to successfully trigger the scope to capture the power measurements of an atmega168 controller while it is in operation? :?

regards

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

You should be able to use the trigger to capture the input signal coming in to the scope from the controller while it is in operation. Triggering on the voltage level is the easiest option.

Regards,

TMoabalobelo

Post by TMoabalobelo »

hi,

I'm sorry, but i don't understand. Would you please reprhase if possible.

thanks

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

If the output from the microcontroller is connected to the external trigger port on your PicoScope 6000, then you can capture data from the input of channel A, B, C and D when the trigger occurs.

The easiest trigger method to use is ps6000SetSimpleTrigger - please refer to the Programmer's Guide (section 4.9.45 on p77) for further information.

I hope this helps.