Average Function

Post your .Net discussions here
BDR
User
User

Average Function

Post by BDR »

Is it possible to have the average function take the rms instead of the arithmetic mean?

Eg. PS6000_RATIO_MODE_AVERAGE

*Update.

I have tried this average mode, and the buffers are always empty. I have searched the forum and found other people having the same trouble.

*2nd Update

I have unravelled the confusion. I was reading the manual and the enumerate said 0 for none, and =2 for average. It is actually 3. The averaging now seems to work, although I am still wondering if the FPGA can be changed to do the square.

*3rd update

The averaging isn't working at all. As I increase the averaging and sample rate, the computer begins to not keep up with the sampling rate. This makes me believe that the averaging isn't working at all.

I cannot understand the manual. Should I be using the GetStreamingLatestValues, or ps6000GetValuesAsync with the ps6000DataReady callback?
When I try declaring the call back, it simply says that it doesn't exist in the .dll. The manual has no examples of how to declare or use this averaging hardware.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Average Function

Post by Martyn »

We probably need to see your code to understand what you are doing, and what may be going wrong.

Downsample averaging is a technique to reduce the amount of data you need to retrieve from the device. If you have 10000 samples collected in a buffer, and you downsample and average by a factor of four, you will receive just 2500 samples covering the buffer.

Is this what you are expecting from the average function ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

BDR
User
User

Post by BDR »

I have figured out what the problem is now. The average function is now working. I did not realise that I also had to set the data buffer to average mode as well. At least it seems that way. Everything runs now.

When the scope uses hardware to average points, I am assuming it is doing (p1 + p2 + p3) / 3 if it is set for 3. Then passing that average as a single point.

Is there anyway to get it to do SQRT((p1 ^2 + P2 ^2 + P3 ^2) / 3) or even just the square and then my software completes it.

BDR
User
User

Post by BDR »

Never mind, I have figured out a better way of doing business :O)

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Thanks for letting us know :)
Martyn

BDR
User
User

Post by BDR »

Are the math channels done on the scope, or post process on the PC?

ishoro13

Post by ishoro13 »

Hello BDR,

Could you please attache the code for AVERAGE FUNCTION, just now I'm using following code in python:

Code: Select all

self.raw_data = self.scope.getDataV('A', self.nSamples,startIndex=0, downSampleRatio=8, downSampleMode=2, returnOverflow=False);
But it is arithmetic mean, what I need is sum of the levels of the waveform samples divided by the number of samples.

So I guess it could be implemented something like that:

self.scope.setNoOfCaptures(32)/32
But unfortunately it didn't work, do I need to use buffer function as well?

BDR
User
User

Post by BDR »

I cannot post code because I am on a defence network.

If you are using the averaging on the scope, the total number of samples you should receive should decrease by the ratio you entre into the streaming call or block call AND setdatabuffer.

There are a few ways of getting your total number of samples, but the easiest way to do so is used the AvailableData call, and simply declare a variable in your program that you can add this too.

When you want your result you divide it by the running number once you've dealt with the last set of incoming data. You don't want to by accident do this prior to finishing the averaging if you are using the AvailableData call. If you are simply counting as you go, then you can do it when you like.

Stone_Mei

Post by Stone_Mei »

Hi BDR!

Could you please tell me which API functions did you use to implement The average?

Thank you!

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Look at Downsampling Modes on Page 37 of the Programmer's Guide
Martyn

Stone_Mei

Post by Stone_Mei »

Hi Martyn!

I have some questions about Pico4824 Aerage function,so I send e-mail to support@picotech.com for several times .Unfortunately, all e-mail were returned all the time.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Please try sending an email again, I will check the servers and spam folders, we receive other emails from your company.
Martyn

Stone_Mei

Post by Stone_Mei »

Hi Martyn!
I have tried again,it was returned again.
Maybe somebody put me on the blacklist

The mailbox prompt message is as attachment screenshot in Chinese:
IP server feedback: your mail or account or mail domain was black.
Attachments
1.jpg

Stone_Mei

Post by Stone_Mei »

Hi Martyn!

My question and requirement is as follows:
Instrument:Pico4824
Need Function:Average of Downsampling
Programming language:C#
Channel:only one
Error one:
status = Imports.SetDataBuffers(handle, (Imports.Channel)i, maxBuffers, minBuffers, (int)sampleCount, 0, Imports.DownSamplingMode.Average);// .None);
status=13 #define PICO_INVALID_PARAMETER 0x0000000DUL

Error two:
status = Imports.GetValues(handle, 0, ref sampleCount, 10, Imports.DownSamplingMode.Average, 0, out overflow);
status=70 #define PICO_BUFFERS_NOT_SET 0x00000046UL
The return values of sampleCount is FFFFFFFF.

Not only that,for DECIMATE and AGGREGATE function,the error is same.

I also have a Pico6000 series oscilloscope,I only change some values of the procedure based SDK Demo,Pico600series oscilloscope is working good.Pico4824 procedure is simillar to Pico6000 series oscilloscope
I don't know what's wrong.Maybe you can help me.

The attachment is procedure file.
My english is poor,Hard you.

Maybe you can find my e-mail in blacklist.
Attachments
PS4000A.rar
(98.23 KiB) Downloaded 472 times

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I can't find emails but have looked at the code and in the first instance I would try

uint sampleCount = BUFFER_SIZE;
Martyn