Custom Decoder

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
bruceleo59

Custom Decoder

Post by bruceleo59 »

The custom serial decoder has been mentioned several times but is not very well documented. With the new serial decoder in Picoscope 6.11.4.929 beta is there a custom decoder? I'm looking at decoding a ZMDi IC that is using a ZACWire protocol. (For a ZACWire description see page 21 of http://www.zmdi.com/sites/default/files ... -11-01.pdf .)

Mark_O
Advanced

Re: Custom Decoder

Post by Mark_O »

I am interested in information on the custom serial decoders as well.

Mark_O
Advanced

Post by Mark_O »

To be more direct...

When will information on Custom Decoders be made available to your customers?

- Mark

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

As we have mentioned before we have re written the serial decoding engine from the ground up, after uncovering issues when we tried to implement custom serial decoding on the previous version.

Until this reaches the stable release branch we will not be looking at implementing a custom decoder, however the development team are always willing to look at adding additional protocols if the demand is there.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Mark_O
Advanced

Post by Mark_O »

Martyn wrote:As we have mentioned before we have re written the serial decoding engine from the ground up, after uncovering issues when we tried to implement custom serial decoding on the previous version.
I do recall that. And I am happy to see the new decode engine is operational in the 6.11.4 Beta.
Until this reaches the stable release branch we will not be looking at implementing a custom decoder,
Excellent information! Thanks very much. So there is no Custom Decoder (yet) to be documented. That makes sense.
however the development team are always willing to look at adding additional protocols if the demand is there.
I think Pico is doing a really excellent job of supporting a wide variety of protocols! I can't speak to their quality (yet), but there's an impressive range of coverage there already.

My own interest is (mostly) in customizing the generic CAN decoder, for several specific variants. J1939 is most important to me, but others such as ISO-15765 and ISO-14229, CanOPEN, etc. are also of interest. It was about a year ago now that Karunen informed me (via a Support exchange) that this would (some day) be possible.

I'm glad that the rewrite has been completed, and looking forward to a stable version status, so that new development can proceed.

jswanson
Active User
Active User

Post by jswanson »

Any news on the custom decoder? This has been going on for years now!

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi jswanson,

Not at the present moment. As Martyn mentioned above, the Serial Decoding feature underwent some rework and our Development Team have been working on other aspects of the software products.

Are there any particular protocols that you are interested in? If so, please e-mail support@picotech.com with details and an example psdata file if you have one and we would be happy to raise a new feature request.

Regards,

davideshay

Post by davideshay »

Just purchased a 3405D MSO, and one application I was hoping to use it for was decoding WS2812 LED data. It is a fairly simple serial protocol over 1 data wire:

https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2812.pdf

Basically, if the signal is high for anywhere from 200-500 nanoseconds, followed by low from 650-950, it's a 0.
If it's high from 550-850 ns, followed by low from 450-750 ns, it's a 1.
A "reset" is anything more than 50,000 ns of low., and is needed only at the end of entire string worth of data.

Beyond that it's just grouping the data together into 3 sets of 8 bits to get a color set (G,R,B) for each pixel.

Is there a way to do this with an existing decoder, or math function, or something else? Or do I need to wait for the custom decoder?

Any chance to get this added as a protocol?

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi davideshay,

I have created a new feature request for our Development Team for this protocol.

If you could capture some example signals and send them to support@picotech.com we can add these to the request for testing should the protocol decoder be implemented.

Regards,