About PicoScope Test CD Optical Pickup RF signal

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
oasis2016
User
User

About PicoScope Test CD Optical Pickup RF signal

Post by oasis2016 »

Hello, everyone! I want to use a PicoScope test CD eye, can get very good results?
Because I tried to use the 3206D MSO to test this, but did not get good results.( I'm sorry, my English is very poor.)

What I mean is to use the PicoScope test CD to optical pickup RF signal('eye' pattern), please refer to: https://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_cdfa ... CDFAQD_004.

The following is the best waveform I get:
20161231-0002.gif
The results obtained with an analog oscilloscopes:
RF Signal.jpg
Hope to get your help, thank you very much! :D
Last edited by oasis2016 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: About PicoScope Test CD Optical Pickup RF signal

Post by Martyn »

Can you please post your psdata file ( File->Save) for the capture you have done, we can then take a look at the settings.

You may need to send it to support@picotech.com depending upon the size of the file.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

oasis2016
User
User

Post by oasis2016 »

Martyn wrote:Can you please post your psdata file ( File->Save) for the capture you have done, we can then take a look at the settings.

You may need to send it to support@picotech.com depending upon the size of the file.
Thanks Martyn!
Because I did not get the desired effect, so I returned the machine.
I did not save the settings file during the test. But I have the following picture for your reference(May be blurred):
The best RF signal persistence waveform.jpg
Please help me answer, why in my computer to get the refresh rate so low?(This model has a nominal waveform capture rate of 100000 wfms/s, But the fact is not the case, I see a very low refresh rate. :shock: )
My computer configuration is: ThinkPAD X250 (Intel Core i5-5200U 2.20GHz 2.19GHz;8G RAM;Win8.1 64Bit;120G NGFF).

Thanks again! :D

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Without a data file it will be difficult to diagnose the issue, and as you have returned the scope we can't ask you to carry out any tests. So I am not sure if will be able to identify this issue.
Martyn

oasis2016
User
User

Post by oasis2016 »

Martyn wrote:Without a data file it will be difficult to diagnose the issue, and as you have returned the scope we can't ask you to carry out any tests. So I am not sure if will be able to identify this issue.
Hi! Martyn, glad you can reply to me.
About the data file, I can try to recall the original settings, generated in the "PicoScope 6" configuration. Data files are only relate to these settings, right?
But I think if you do the same tests on this issue, if you can get a clear pattern of the same texture on a normal CD player or CDROM drive, it means that my machine or my test method is problematic, and that the 3206D has enough power (refresh rate) to do this thing. Maybe I might buy it back again. :P
This is counter-evidence(or example) method used to solve the problem, this does not seem difficult, right?
Of course, at last still very grateful for your help.
Thanks! :D

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I will need to see if I can find a CD ROM drive/player that I can try the tests on, I have nothing to hand at the moment.
Martyn

oasis2016
User
User

Post by oasis2016 »

Martyn wrote:I will need to see if I can find a CD ROM drive/player that I can try the tests on, I have nothing to hand at the moment.
Thank you Martyn!
I look forward to your test results! Maybe it can change my view of the picoscope. :D So far I have hesitated about my choice. :(

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I have seen this thread referenced on another topic and I have looked again at the issue. I wasn't able to locate a CD drive to test with, and don't have one available now, so apologies for not coming back before.

However a CD to test with is not needed, the issue is quite clear after a little research on these patterns. The triggering is not set up correctly to pick up just the rising edge that starts the pattern and it is therefore triggering on falling edges, and possibly noise on rising edges, and that is why you see an X in the middle of the screen. Careful use of advanced triggers and threshold hysteresis would clear up the signal.

This would work fine with the scope you originally used or newer higher spec models from our range.
Martyn

oasis2016
User
User

Post by oasis2016 »

Yes, Martyn. :D
Thank you for your reply!
I did see that in some forums, someone talked about this test issue.
They said that as long as it is set to slope trigger, the ideal eye pattern can be obtained.
But I did not see the slope trigger in PicoScope oscilloscope software.
Can other trigger modes be used instead?

In addition, I would like to know whether your company no longer produces 6000 series oscilloscopes? Because I only saw the 6000E series.
However, there are still 6000 series sold in my area. :?:

Thank you again!
Bless you!

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The 6000C/D models are no longer produced having been replaced by the 6000E although you may find some distributors still have stock. You may be able to get a good deal on one so worth checking as they are still fully supported by us and will be for a significant time.
Martyn

oasis2016
User
User

Post by oasis2016 »

:D
Okay, Martyn, I get it. thank you for your reply.