Serial decode table view font problem

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
Mitchell

Serial decode table view font problem

Post by Mitchell »

When I use the table view to display decoded CAN bus data, the icons in the columns for RTR and others that should have either checks or "x" instead display just an empty square box. The data for these columns is correct (seen either by exporting to a .csv file, or using the column filter function), so it seems to just be the display of those characters.

I am running Windows XP SP3 (yes, I know it would probably be solved if I upgraded, but that would be a huge project) and PicoScope software version: 6.11.12.1692

I've never had font display probems before. Any work-around would be fine, I'd be happy with a simple "1" and "0" instead of the pretty check and "x".

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Serial decode table view font problem

Post by Martyn »

Can you post an image showing the issue. Thanks.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

I've attached a screen image, showing the boxes in place of theboth the "x" and check-marks.
Attachments
Serial decode table view, showing font problem for "x" and check-mark
Serial decode table view, showing font problem for "x" and check-mark

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

This will be an issue with the system font being used on your O/S not supporting these characters. You could try selecting a different system font within Control Panel and see if you can find one that is both acceptable, and correctly displays the characters.

Unfortunately we can't produce any new builds for XP systems, as we are no longer able to sign them, so have no alternative solutions.
Martyn

Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

By copying a row of the serial decode table into Microsoft Word I was able to see that PicoScope uses Times New Roman for the numbers and MS Mincho font for the x and check-mark. I have MS Mincho on my computer and it has those characters. I spent some time trying to change the ClearType rendering, display font size, and dpi settings, but these do not fix the problem. I also tried making some changes for font substitution with the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes, also no better.

That version of PicoScope software (6.11.12.1692) must also be used for Windows Vista, and those font characters do properly display on another computer I have.

I'm happy enough everything else works well on Windows XP.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

What are your current system fonts ? for the checkmarks we do not specify the font so just pick up on the system font.

Have you tried different system fonts ?
Martyn