Can't get ADC-24 to work over USB! "No driver" err

Having problems ? let us know the details here
NovaThomas
User
User

Can't get ADC-24 to work over USB! "No driver" err

Post by NovaThomas »

Hi Folks!

We just got our ADC-20/24 today, and I'm trying to connect it via the USB cable to my Windows 2000 computer.

I inserted the CD that came with the unit, but the update link said there was a newer CD online.

I went online, and it wasn't clear what to do.

I downloaded the latest "full" software (PicoFull_r5_15_6.exe) and ran that ZIP installer. Everything seemed to install fine.

But, when I plug the ADC-20/24 into a USB connection, I don't get any "new hardware found' dialog, or anything at all.

If I try to use the PicoLog software with the device plugged into the USB port, I get an error about a driver not being installed.

I see in the installation instructions mention of a checkbox for installing a driver, but I do not, and did not, have such a checkbox during the installation.

I tried using the CD but it says there is newer software already on my machine and won't run.

I have tried different USB ports on the machine, but no difference.

Help! :-D

- Thomas
Too much data, not enough duration!

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Thomas

Thank you for your post.

First thing to check is whether the computer knows that something is connected when you plug in the ADC-20/24. Does it appear in the device manager? If so what is it listed as?

I recommend reinstalling from the device manager as you should then get the found new hardware wizard. Also ensure that driver signing is not set to disallow unsigned drivers as this will prevent the installation completing successfully.

Let me know how you get on with this and whether it is installed correctly.

Best Regards

NovaThomas
User
User

Post by NovaThomas »

Hi Sarah,

The device seems to listed correctly in the Device Manager, as a Pico High Resolution Data Logger, or something of the sort.

The setting for unsigned drivers is to "warn'.

But I still never saw the new device dialogs when I connected it, and when I try to use the New Settings in the PicoLog software, as directed in the User Guide, I still get an error about the "PicoHRDL.ddl" driver not being found and I cannot move forward.

What to do? I need to get this working! :( They are yelling at me! :x It's all my fault! :cry:

Okay, it's not that bad. :-D Yet! :shock:

- Thomas

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Thomas

I would reinstall the software and make sure you tick the box that says "Install for other devices". That way it will give you all of the device drivers so you should not get messages saying one isn't found.

Let me know if it still causes problems after this.

Best Regards

NovaThomas
User
User

Post by NovaThomas »

Hello Sarah,

So re-run the software installer ZIP thingie I downloaded?

I don't remember that choice, but I'll try running that installer and looking!

Thank you for the speedy response! :D

I'll keep you informed!

Best regards,

- Thomas

NovaThomas
User
User

Post by NovaThomas »

Hi Sarah (et al),

That helped. (I think!) I can now get past the dialog under New Settings where I would try to select the ADC-20 / ADC-24 from a list of devices and get the "no PicoHRDL.dll driver found" error.

But after finishing all the New Settings and clicking Okay, I find myself back at the same little window that says I need to go and use New Settings. So I go back in and all the settings I made are not there.

So I reset all the settings I made again, then finally click Okay, but again I am back at the little window that says to go and use New Settings.... Around and around.....

????

I finally Quit the PicoLog Recorder program, to write this to you

I just ran it again to get the name of a menu item, and now it looks like a completely different program!?!?! It calls itself the PLW Player now? Most of the menus I saw before are not there? :shock:

Is this normal? I am reading the manuals...

Best regards,

- Thomas

NovaThomas
User
User

Post by NovaThomas »

And I just ran it a third time, and it is back to being the PicoLog Recorder!? :roll:

And it is back to saying I still need to go use the New Settings.

Perhaps this is normal? I'm reading....

- Thomas

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Thomas

If it opens as PLW Player then the recorder has shut properly - you will need to kill it from the task manager. It will appears as the process "plw32.exe" in the processes list.

When you set the settings up, do you add any channels? If you do not add or enable any channels then it will not show anything in the main window.

Let me know how you are getting on

Best Regards