PicoLog and ps3000.dll version problem

Having problems ? let us know the details here

PicoLog and ps3000.dll version problem

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I've just started to use a PS3424 using the latest software download for Windows XP. The picoscope software works fine and a colleague has used the scope in the past but I need to use Pico Log but cannot. When I start picolog and try to start a recording with 'File' -> 'New Settings" I get a message saying "Old version of ps3000.dll driver found. Please reinstall the software". I have now tried this twice but it doesnt help.

The second time I have installed all device drivers, if I select any of the other drivers the software looks as if it is scanning usb ports and does not flag any errors so seems to be working ok.

I have tried all available recording methods but always get the same error.

I have uninstalled the PicoScope driver through device manager but this also did not help. The device driver as listed in device manager is "version 1.11.0. 0"

Can anyone help with this? It seems to be a software issue but I cant find any mention of it anywhere in the forums.

Thanks,
mat

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

We are looking into this. Please be patient!

Many thanks,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

matb
User
User

Further info

Post by matb »

Hi,

I thought the problem might be due to my laptop or some conflicting software I may have installed. I cant see how this could be; there are no other pl3000.dll on my machine and when I remove the file from the Pico Full directory the error changes to 'Driver 'ps3000.dll' not found', but just to check I have tried the software on another machine (a dell workstation) but this has the same problem.

Mat

Rampak

ps3000.dll problem

Post by Rampak »

Hi

I am getting exactly the same problem after upgrading my Picoscope software. I tried searching for all ps3000.dll instances and deleted the older versions without success.

Also uninstalled and re-installed the software.

The symptoms are exactly as reported in the original post.

I look forward to the solution.

adam7
User
User

Post by adam7 »

Hi pico support ....

I too am having this problem. Both R5 and R6(Beta) PicoScope Automotive starts up fine with my PS3423, but PicoLog fails with the "Old version of ps3000.dll driver found. Please reinstall the software" message.

Is there a work-around or any way that I can perform a long term (1sample/min over 3 days) capture with the PS3423?

Cheers
Adam

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Adam

Thank you for your post.

This is a bug we are aware of and I believe the latest software on the web fixes this problem.

If you find it is still present then let me know.

Best Regards

adam7
User
User

Post by adam7 »

Hi Sarah

Thanks for your feedback.

Im still having problems. What Im trying to do is use a PS3423 (the automotive variant) with PLW R5.15.6.

PLW starts up OK, but when I try to setup a new measurement I get to the "Converter Details" section, select "PicoScope 3000 Series", and then get a window pop up with "The uint you have tried to open is not supported by this version of the software. ......". After "OK"ing the USB Devices list my scope as Device: Unsupported, Serial ISR37/69.

I can run the PicoScope program without any problems.

Are the current (3000 range) automotive scopes supported by the standard (R5.15.6) PicoScope software suite? I can use my older ADC212/3 scope with this software without problems.

Assuming that the PS3423 should work with PLW Recorder, can you suggest where Im going wrong?

Thanks for your support
Adam

adam7
User
User

Post by adam7 »

Heres is little more info that may help...
The "Status" button on "Converter details" reports:
Driver version: 3,1,0,2
Hardware version: 6
USB version: 2.0
Unit variant: 3423
Serial: ISR37/69
Calibration date: 14Oct06

Adam

davidj
Site Admin
Site Admin

3x23 not working with Picolog

Post by davidj »

Hi Adam

Thank you for your posts.

The current USB Automotive scopes do not work with Picolog. It was felt at the time that Automotive users would have little use for it.
I will request it as an enhancement as it is something it sounds like you can do with. I would be interested in hearing from other Auto users also who may have a potential need for Picolog. What in particular are you looking to log Adam ?

Regards,
David
Regards,
David

Post by Guest »

Hi David

Thanks for getting back to me.

Ive been using my ADC212/3 *automotive* scope with both PicoLog, PicoScope(std), and PicoScope Automotive. When I recently upgraded to the PS3423 I thought it too would work with the same software programs.

One particular use of the PicoLog software I have is to monitor signals over a longer term that is available with the PicoScope versions. For example to monitor a car battery discharge (voltage) and current drain over several days. I could just use a pen and paper to note the readings, but .....

PicoLog also allows me to add calculated measurements based on several channels, eg Power = V(ch1) * A(ch2) without having to export into excel etc etc.

So - yes please see if we can have the latest/auto picoscopes fully supported by the Std PicoScope/Log software.

Just out of interest, what is the difference between the PS3424 and the PS3423?

Thanks
Adam

matb
User
User

Post by matb »

The new software version has fixed my problem, thanks!

davidj
Site Admin
Site Admin

3423, 3424 differences

Post by davidj »

Hi Adam
The bandwidth and resolution are the same for these scopes, as is the price. The differences are that the Auto scopes have a 50V maximum input rating as opposed to 20V for the general purpose versions.
Re the software, the 3423 will only run the Automotive, the 3424 runs Picoscope and Log.
The 212/3 was not a dedicated Automotive scope, but it was the one we recommended for Automotive use as it has the 12 bit resolution required for analysing complex waveforms but attractively priced compared to the faster 212/50 and /100 models.

I have forwarded your comments about the lack of support for Picolog with the 3423. This is currently being looked into and I will update you as I know more.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David

adam7
User
User

Post by adam7 »

Ok David, thats clear now. Thanks again for looking into this for me. I appreciate your help, and I hope PLW will support the PS3423 in the near future.

One last question, is the PS3424 supported by PicoScope Automotive (specifically R6)?