PicoLog - Unstable

Forum for discussing PicoLog
mark
User
User

Post by mark »

I too have been having problems with the Picolog graph not displaying when a certain number of values have been reached. The problem still occurs with the latest software update. A solution I have found is to use the recorder for recording the values, and run it in the background at all times.

When you want to view and analyse the data, use the Picolog viewer, open the current data file, and the graph will appear in its entirety (but obviously not refresh with the new values unless you reopen).

A useable solution, but doesn't change the fact that the problem should not be occuring.

shampton
User
User

Post by shampton »

After 24 continuous hours of testing with version 5.14.6 we were troubled to see the same problem of incomplete windows. The Pico software appeared to be still running, but acting very quirky. A quick call to Pico tech support (Sarah, I believe) yielded Mark's suggestion of turning off the graph function, which we followed. We then continued to collect 50,000 data samples successfully over a 72 hour period. Looks like we're ready to get back to the work of data collection of our process.

rowbo
User
User

Unstable

Post by rowbo »

Hi All

I'm a new user of PicoLog. I have used pen 'n ink chart recorders for years and they are perfect for 'at-a-glance' inspection and to keep as permanent records, but not very good for data analysis and reports. Hence my purchase.

I have been disappointed with PicoLog's performance. particularly the view-graph function. I need to SEE what's going on with the process I'm monitoring - in real time.

I can tolerate the 1Meg sample limit and even the 99%CPU usage, but not being able to see the graph is a real pain.

The 'player' appears to work fine if you open an old file - its only when trying to view the live graph that it goes 'wonky'.

I have had to resort to stopping the recording and restarting immediately with a new file (so I don't miss too much data) so I can view the graph of the most recent data from the now closed file - this is far from ideal.

From a 'cold start' it does display live graphs for a while (the 'while' being dependent on I know not what?) but once its got itself into 'wonky mode', even restarting the recorder doesn't help.

It seems to me that the player can't 'catch up' with the recorder because the recorder is using most of the processing power. (Obviously, I'm not a software engineer!)

I am running the latest software - 5.15.4 - under XP

PS added 16/10/06 - and 'Notes' cannot be edited and saved after file is closed.

PPS added 17/10/06 - a software colleague had a quick look at it and apart from his comments on the 100% CPU usage he noted that there appears to be 'GDI Object' leakage. This can be seen in Task Manager after selecting view/select columns - the number of GDI Objects grows inexorably.

Post by Guest »

Hi

Can you confirm what unit you are using?

Thanks

rowbo
User
User

Post by rowbo »

I'm using an ADC16 with USB-serial converter on a laptop. Only two input channels as yet, set for 13-bit resolution and 200ms sample time. 1Meg samples total. Graph is updated every 10 samples (2s). I don't leave it on all the time now, only when I need to look at it. GDI Objects has risen to 6500.