Solar Monitoring

Which product is right for your exact requirements
jimmyB

Solar Monitoring

Post by jimmyB »

Hi

I have a little home project which involves reading temperatures on a (1)solar collector and a (2)water tank. Also I want to record when a pump (3) is off & on. I want to record this data over time & was planning on locating a laptop next to the transducers for the duration of the monitoring. Can you recommend the equipment to purchase, PC interface, etc that would best suit my needs.

Rgds & tx

Jim

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello Jim,

THank you for your post.

For this application, I would recommend the DrDAQ unit. This will allow you toi measure two temperature inputs and switch or power on/off all in one unit.

http://www.drdaq.com

The DrDAQ is connected and powered by the Parallel port, a USB adapter is available.

Best reards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

Pump Switch?

Post by Guest »

Hi Michael

Tx for your reply - I have checked out the Dr DAQ logger and it looks ideal (for my level of expertise...). I understand how we will use the external temperature sensors but am at a loss re. how to hook up the pump - on/off. The pump is controlled automatically from the solar loop instrumentation (therefore no switch). The voltage input to the DrDAQ is 0 to 5V - any idea how to make the link between the pump and the input?

Use the "electromagnetic kit" placed over the electric supply cable to the pump? - and then using the pH sensor as described on the website

Is it the Reed switch? if this was placed next to the pump would it detect the field change when the motor/pump started?

Rgds & tx
Jim

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello Jim,

You can use a relay to switch a NO or NC contact and use the resistance input to check for pump activation. Similarly you can switch a low voltage supply to indicate pump activation and use the voltage measurement input of the DrDAQ.

Best regards,
michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum