3206 and 200MHz frequency

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Adel
User
User

3206 and 200MHz frequency

Post by Adel »

I just purchased a 3206 model and the following could be my lack of knowledge of the scope and/or the software. I connect a CW to Channel A of the scope, input from my Signal Generator at -10dBm, at frequencies between 75MHz and 200MHz. The shape detected by the scope is anything but a sinewave and the measured frequencies do not match at all. I understand that the scope is not the tool to precisely measure VHF but I would've like to see at least something close to the input frequencies, like my conventional TEK 2440 scope shows. Is there a setting I am missing?
Thank you.

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by alan »

Hi,

The single shot sampling rate of the 3206 is 200MSPS so with a 75MHz sinewave you have about 3 samples per waveform.

To view higher frequency signals I suggest you use ETS sampling which boosts the sampling rate to GSPS but only works for repetitive signals (ie the sort of fast waveforms that could have been seen on an old analogue scope. )

View your 75MHz signal then change the trigger mode to ETS the waveform should look a lot better!

Regards
Alan

Adel
User
User

Post by Adel »

Thank you Alan. Yes indeed with the Trigger set to ETS the wave form is much lik a sine wave and I was able to get as high as 188MHz, with a frequency measurement fairly acurate.
Regards.