Logging and Decision Making; Scope2000 vs DrDAQ

Which product is right for your exact requirements
andrewhirzel
User
User

Logging and Decision Making; Scope2000 vs DrDAQ

Post by andrewhirzel »

I just bought a Picoscope2000, works great, and already can datalog with it. Great product!

I need 4 units to perform roughly as follows in factory setting:
1) Standalone operation, unattended, waiting for trigger
2) Receive a lo-hi signal, 5V, triggers start of recording event.
3) Sample the event, +/-10V, 3 second duration, 3Msamples total. Can adjust this a little, i.e. shorten duration and samples.
4) Perform math and alarms associated with event
5) Record a few important math values from the event into local or ethernet log (timestamp, peak voltage for example)
6) Activate 3V output as pass/fail
7) wait for next trigger

What is best approach? Picoscope 2000 or DrDAQ? What is good choice for local processing and communication hardware? Write my own Python code or is there easier and less custom approach?

Hitesh

Re: Logging and Decision Making; Scope2000 vs DrDAQ

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Andrew,

All our products needs to be connected to a PC in order to be operated and collect data.

The USB DrDAQ would not be suitable for this application as it cannot sample at the rate that you are looking for over 3 seconds as it is a low memory device. What would be the shortest duration that you could consider?

If you were to use a PicoScope 2206B (or any other PicoScope 2000 Series device except for the PicoScope 2204A or 2205A), then you could set the trigger to capture the data after a trigger event and it also possible to trigger the signal generator output (maximum output is +/- 2 V). On what sort of condition would you trigger the signal generator output?

You could choose to use either a block or streaming mode data collection - the latter will require you to monitor incoming data and ignore anything before the trigger event.

You can use Python to communicate with the PicoScope drivers. Which platform would you be using - Windows or Linux?

The PicoScope 6 software for Windows platforms does have a Math Channel and Alarms feature so you could capture the data, export to a text/comma separated values file and process the data afterwards for your log files.

Regards,

andrewhirzel
User
User

Post by andrewhirzel »

Hitesh
Thanks, I will develop code with my 2204A and a 64bit PC running windows. For now I will setup the trigger on ChannelA and gather data on the ChannelB. I can configure my hardware to deliver these signals.

When I want units placed in the factory, I will decide whether I will switch to raspberry PI.

I downloaded the SDK for 64 bit. Is there similar download for Python?
Andy

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Andy,

We currently do not provide Python examples as part of the SDK.

You may wish to refer to the following topics for examples:

Topic 4926

Topic 24351

We might be able to provide some additional code if you e-mail support@picotech.com

Regards,