A question

Having problems ? let us know the details here
Zoe Arabshahi
Active User
Active User

A question

Post by Zoe Arabshahi »

Hi,
I am a new user of Ultrasound. I am using Ultrasonic Pulser-Receivers 5072PR (Olympus NDT INC, USA) which connected to an oscilloscope PicoScope 5204 (Pico Technology, UK) and a personal computer via USB 2.0 port running PicoScopeÒ6 software. A 10 MHz (V129-RM) and 20 MHz (V116-RM) ultrasound contact transducer (Panametric, Olympus NDT INC, USA) is used for doing experiments.
I have faced a problem for recording my data. The captured echo of the sample is changing with time in my experiments (the is a movie in this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B16cj ... GxZRGliSG8, showing the changes of echo with the time). I need to record this changes in each second. I was wondering if anybody could give me a solution.

Waiting for your response

thanks

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A question

Post by Martyn »

Can you post a data file, File->Save and save the current capture, then we will be able to see the settings of the scope.

What exactly are you trying to measure/save?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Zoe Arabshahi
Active User
Active User

Post by Zoe Arabshahi »

Hi Martin,

For more clarification, please let me describe my experiment. As shown in the uploaded picture
Figure 1
Figure 1
, a sample which is a two-layered composite is undergoing loading and unloading mechanical test and at the same time the ultrasound echoes is going to be captured. The echo captured before start loading/unloading is shpown in picture 1. The echoes reflected from surface 1 and surface 2 is shown in the picture 1. As the loading/unloading experiment starts, the echo starts changing through the whole loading/unloading time. The video clip uploaded in this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B16cj ... GxZRGliSG8 shows the changes of the reflected echoes from surface 1 and 2 within the time of loading/unloading.

Now, what I am going to do is to capture the change in amplitude of the reflected echoes from surface 1,2 (refer to marked points c,d,e,f in Picture 2) and also the change in time (refer to marked points a,b in picture 2).
Figure 2
Figure 2
I need to record these changes within the time of the experiment for further analysis. Hope it is clear now.

Look forward to hearing from you
Zoe

Zoe Arabshahi
Active User
Active User

Post by Zoe Arabshahi »

Dear Martin

Following my previous description, please find Picture 3 for the settings:
Setting.jpg
Thanks

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

You can capture the waveforms, as psdata files files, on completion of each capture by using Tools->Alarms and then restart the capture automatically. Just check the help file in the dialog for more information.

If that is not what you are looking to do then let me know.
Martyn

Zoe Arabshahi
Active User
Active User

Post by Zoe Arabshahi »

Hi Martyn,

The alarm is not what I am looking for.
I have tried Macro in Excel to capture the streaming data. However the captured data voltage for the data is not the sane as what it should be.
Could you please guide me about what could be the reason?

Thanks

Zoe Arabshahi
Active User
Active User

Post by Zoe Arabshahi »

Hello
Here are one sample:
1. this is the captured echo in picoscope. as you can see the amplitude is almost 1.6V. The time is 20 Microsecond.
The echo with picoscope.jpg

2. here is the related data I am getting from the Macro:
The data stream captured by Macro.csv
(14.09 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
If you look at the data for the first 20 Microsecond you will see that it is not the same.
Could you please tell me what is wrong?

Thanks

Zoe Arabshahi
Active User
Active User

Post by Zoe Arabshahi »

Dear Martyn
I have taken both steaming and Block data but the voltage are the same, which is not similar with what we have in picoscope? Here is the the best trace could get:
20 micros.psdata
(187.03 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
20 micros2.psdata
(196.76 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
And here is the properties of the psdata files:
Sample interval: 1 ns
Sample rate: 1 GS/s
No. samples: 20,000

Chanel:A
Range: +- 5 V
Coupling DC

Thanks

Zoe Arabshahi
Active User
Active User

Post by Zoe Arabshahi »

Dear Martyn

Here is the new data block:
Book2.csv
(269.91 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Thanks

Zoe Arabshahi
Active User
Active User

Post by Zoe Arabshahi »

Please find the attached file for the new get block data:
Book3.csv
(304.42 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Thanks

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Both of those look to be working correctly in that the data is collected from a trigger of greater than 1000 ADC counts (1024), however this is still a relatively low trigger level and you are then seeing just low level noise afterwards. Try upping the trigger value to say 5000, in the SetTrigger line and see what data you get back.

The final part will be to make sure you have some pre trigger samples, so you can see what happens just before the trigger fires.
Martyn