Problem using ADC-100 w/ USB-Parallell and XP

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
Johan Olsson

Problem using ADC-100 w/ USB-Parallell and XP

Post by Johan Olsson »

Hi,

I have a new laptop with Windows XP that I aim to use for my old ADC-100's connecting using Picotech's USB-Parallell converter.

The monitoring works fine at first, plotting the appropriate graph, but after 5-20 seconds, the plotting is interrupted, the plot disappears, and a new graph is started. It seems like the Picoscope task is using all my CPU capacity, since the cooling fans run at full speed.

I have tried using the latest as well as older versions of the picoscope software wit hthe same results.

Does anyone have any explanations and/or solutions?

ed800uk
Active User
Active User

Post by ed800uk »

Hi Johan,
It might not help you because your scope is different from mine, but sometimes you can get lower CPU usage by changing away from full screen.

I have done lots of trials of the software at different timebases. When the PicoScope software is running full screen it often reaches 100%. When you reduce the window size so that it is not full screen, the CPU goes down to 50%. This does not always happen, but it might help you.

Best regards,
Ed

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Johan

Thank you for your post.

The explaination here is that the ADC-100 is a unit without an internal buffer memory. This means that the unit has to continually transfer the data to the computer rather than do it in buffered blocks. This is obviously more intensive on the PC and is why our newer scopes now have large buffers onboard.

Best Regards