how to get to the GUI

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
tmats

how to get to the GUI

Post by tmats »

Hi, I just successfully installed picoscope and the driver necessary for the 2207A. I can actually get it to run on the console. But I wasn't sure how to run with the graphic user interface. I tried double clicking the ps2000acon icon and selected the "Execute" button but nothing shows up. I'm noob to linux.
thanks!

Hitesh

Re: how to get to the GUI

Post by Hitesh »

Hi tmats,

To run the picoscope application, please open a terminal window and type the command picoscope and press Enter.

You might be able to pin the icon to a launcher once it has started (this can be done with Ubuntu).

Regards,

tmats

Post by tmats »

Hi Hitesh,

I tried that and it said

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:/ $ picoscope
bash: picoscope: command not found
I remembered that when i installed picoscope, it gave me an error. But it looked like it was telling me to manually go get the drivers.

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:/ $ sudo apt-get install picoscope
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 picoscope : Depends: libpl1000 (= 1.0.8-1r06) but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: libps2000 (= 2.1.5-3r06) but 2.1.5-3r12 is to be installed
             Depends: libps2000a (= 1.1.5-5r28) but 1.1.5-5r36 is to be installed
             Depends: libps3000 (= 3.7.6-3r05) but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: libps3000a (= 1.4.5-6r45) but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: libps4000 (= 1.2.5-2r18) but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: libps4000a (= 1.0.5-2r31) but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: libps5000 (= 1.5.5-3r16) but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: libps5000a (= 1.1.5-5r24) but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: libps6000 (= 1.4.5-6r34) but it is not going to be installed
             Depends: libusbdrdaq (= 1.0.5-1r06) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Am I missing something?
thanks!

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi tmats,

We do not currently provide a PicoScope 6 build for Raspberry Pi platforms. This is due to performance issues with the hardware.

This may change in the future depending on how the Raspberry Pi hardware progresses.

I would recommend using a standard Linux PC build e.g. Ubuntu.

Regards,

tmats

Post by tmats »

I see..
What is the Raspberry Pi driver for then? Is there something else I can use to visualize waveforms while on the RPi?
thanks,
tmats

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi tmats,

The driver is there to allow Users to write their own application, so you could use a third party library to visualise the data.

Some investigation was carried out here about running PicoScope 6 on one of the earlier Raspberry Pi models but performance issues were found, quite possibly in part due to the dependency on the Mono libraries for the Linux version.

Regards,