Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Post discussions on applications you are writing
Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Frequency Response Analyzer with Bode Plots

Post by Martyn »

Please try with the 3406D power supply plugged in.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

Martyn wrote:Please try with the 3406D power supply plugged in.
Martyn, Thank you for diagnosing this!

Mark, presuming this is the issue, this post contains some more info: topic14311-90.html#p74521

I would like to make a change to allow use without power supply, but I can't guarantee when it could happen. Hopefully having the power supply connected won't be too much of inconvenience.

mark.didat@ge.com

Post by mark.didat@ge.com »

Aaron,

To help out with the problem solving effort I tried installing on other machines:

Win7 64-bit
Win7 32-bit
XP 32-bit

All have the same initialization issue.

The order of setup on all was:
- install Picoscope6
- install Pico SDK 32bit
- Install FRA 053b

I also have been tring to get the Matlab SDK files to run and I have a connection error there as well. This may be a Pico SDK driver issue for the 3000 series products.

Again, appreciate the help.

Mark

mark.didat@ge.com

Post by mark.didat@ge.com »

This did work!
Thank you for the help! Having the power supply plugged in is not a huge deal.

Thanks again for the support!

micko

Post by micko »

Hello,

I use a new 2204A picoscope and the FRA4 0.5.3b version.
By select device I get this:
PS200 DV 037/057 available

the software works, but I get no signal at the function generator, so the plot result is not useful.

Thanks for support,
Michael

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

micko wrote:Hello,

I use a new 2204A picoscope and the FRA4 0.5.3b version.
By select device I get this:
PS200 DV 037/057 available

the software works, but I get no signal at the function generator, so the plot result is not useful.

Thanks for support,
Michael
Michael,

Thank you for reporting an issue. When I have access to my 2204A, I can see if I can reproduce it. But I'd like to ask a couple of clarifying questions.

How are you determining that the AWG is not outputting a signal? Do you have another scope to measure it?

If you use the PicoScope Application, does the AWG work?

Thanks,

Aaron.

micko

Post by micko »

Hello Aaron,
thanks for your support.

Yes, I have an other scope, a Hantek DSO5102B 100MHz. And I cannot find a signal at the AWG Port.
When I use the picoscope software, the AWG works, can see it by the picoscope and by the Hantek.

If I test a simple RC filter, the plot result is only a chaos signal between -90db and -70db or something other chaos.
I think, the result is with so less db, because there is nothing to messure when the AWG is not working.
If it is helpfull, I can load a screen of a plot.

Thanks and best regards,

Michael

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

micko wrote:Hello Aaron,
thanks for your support.

Yes, I have an other scope, a Hantek DSO5102B 100MHz. And I cannot find a signal at the AWG Port.
When I use the picoscope software, the AWG works, can see it by the picoscope and by the Hantek.

If I test a simple RC filter, the plot result is only a chaos signal between -90db and -70db or something other chaos.
I think, the result is with so less db, because there is nothing to messure when the AWG is not working.
If it is helpfull, I can load a screen of a plot.

Thanks and best regards,

Michael
Michael,

I tested on my 2204A, and I don't see any issues. The next two thoughts I have are:

1) Could you double check the Input Signal Vpp and make sure it's not very low.

2) While the symptoms your reporting are not exactly the same, another user (Mitch) reported similarly strange results when he had an incompatible version of the SDK installed. Here's the link describing that issue: topic14311-90.html#p74511

The takeaway is that you should ensure that you have the 32 bit SDK version 10.6.10

kally

Post by kally »

Hello hexamer,

did you tried already to measure the feedback loop stability of a switching power supply?

Kind regards
kally

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

kally wrote:Hello hexamer,

did you tried already to measure the feedback loop stability of a switching power supply?

Kind regards
kally
Hello Kally,

I appreciate your interest in the application for SMPS loop measurements!

I've been meaning to post some examples of such measurements, especially given the recent discussions with Mitch. Today I captured some plots from the TPS5420EVM-175 to compare to the datasheet:

Vin = 25V, Iout = 1A, 40 mV constant stimulus, 10 steps per decade, 15Hz - 200 kHz
TPS5420EVM-175 (25.0 Vin, 1000 mA Iout, 40 mV stim, 15 Hz to 200 kHz, 5-10-16, 2a).png
From the EVM Datasheet:
TPS5420 Data Sheet Bode 2.png
The current Phase Margin and Gain Margin labels are not placed intelligently, so I have to expand the frequency scale to read the computed values. They are about 49 degrees and -18 dB, pretty close to the datasheet.
TPS5420EVM-175 (25.0 Vin, 1000 mA Iout, 40 mV stim, 15 Hz to 200 kHz, 5-10-16, 1a).png
If you are trying SMPS measurements and having issues, please remember that you have to run in high noise mode for it to work. See earlier posts for instructions.

Thanks,

Aaron.

kally

Post by kally »

Thank you hexamer for your answer! Those results look great!
Because I'm quite new to this topic I wanted to ask you, if the impedance of your injection transformer VB-1BB with 75 Ohms is no problem, because all the signal generators and oscilloscopes have 50 Ohm outputs/inputs? Is there a need of an additional adaption network?

Thank you very much in advance!

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

kally wrote:Thank you hexamer for your answer! Those results look great!
Because I'm quite new to this topic I wanted to ask you, if the impedance of your injection transformer VB-1BB with 75 Ohms is no problem, because all the signal generators and oscilloscopes have 50 Ohm outputs/inputs? Is there a need of an additional adaption network?

Thank you very much in advance!
The signal generator does have 50 ohm output impedance, so I suppose this configuration will lose some signal amplitude going into the 75 ohm input of the transformer. But this isn't too important because you will need to adjust the AWG Vout anyway. The VB-1BB has very flat response over the measurement frequencies. This is fairly important because the application does not yet have any adaptive output capabilities. You could just as well make or buy a cheaper transformer to match your needs. Since the Input/Output loop response channels going into the scope are both measured at the output side of the transformer and are high impedance inputs, I don't think there is any issue there. This is a good article that explains some of these concepts: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snva364a/snva364a.pdf

Another important point on SMPS analysis with PicoScopes is dynamic range and buffer depth. I have not tried on scopes other than PS5444A, but you may get others with adequate buffer and dynamic range to work just fine.

srnec

Post by srnec »

Hello,
with version 0.5.3b and the 5244B on double-head USB cable i got following error:
Error: Unable to initialize device with serial number CZ108/032

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

srnec wrote:Hello,
with version 0.5.3b and the 5244B on double-head USB cable i got following error:
Error: Unable to initialize device with serial number CZ108/032
Hello and thank your for taking the time to report. I'm not certain, but I assume this is because the driver reports that the power supply is not connected. As noted earlier in this thread, the application does not currently handle that mode. Does it work if you plug in the AC adapter?

srnec

Post by srnec »

hexamer wrote:Does it work if you plug in the AC adapter?
Hello, yes with aux 5V is it working, but 5244B is supplied without 5V adapter because USB power is enough for 2 CH scope. Is it possible to avoid this by modification of FRA?