using four channel pico to diagnose load cells

Which product is right for your exact requirements
Dave Torrance

using four channel pico to diagnose load cells

Post by Dave Torrance »

I would like to know if you have used your pico scope to find a bad load cell as used in weigh scales.
We are a scale company servicing scales from small desk top to full size truck and railroad scales.
I am an automotive diagnostic mechanic familiar with labscopes, but have never found anyone that has experience with using one on load cells.
Please include which of your four channel scopes you would recommend.
Thank you.
Dave Torrance

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

Our instruments can be used to measure load cell outputs. Two important consideratins are voltage input range and resolution. Load cells typically outpu a very low voltage, some around ±10mV. If you are a user of automotive oscilloscopes, you should be able to read the output with some accuracy. Our USB Automotive oscilloscopes are 12bit resolution with the smallest voltage range of ±20mV. This gives you a resolution of 9.8microvolt steps. If a 10 ton loadcell at full load outputs 10mV, then you would see 0.008 ton steps.

In this case, any of our 12bit scopes would see the output from a load cell. As you are an automotive engineer, I would suggest our Automotive series for multiple applications of the instrument.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

Dave Torrance

pico scope for load cells

Post by Dave Torrance »

Thank you for the reply.
I have down loaded your demo program and really enjoyed trying the pico. In meter screen can you have four meters all showing the same, as in volts for ABS wheel speed sesors or MV for multiple load cells.
The demo let me have three the same and one different one.
Also in labscope mode, can you control the screen position of multiple traces so as to overlap two or more traces for comparsion of an intermittent problem?
So far the Pico looks like a winner!
Thanks

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

For better performance, use the measurement options on the scope view. this will allow you view traces and measurements without compromising performance.

To align traces, enable the trace zzom factor to x1 or greater, this will allow you position the trace on the vertical axis against other traces.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

PicoScope Intro

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Dave,

You may enjoy this introduction tutorial movie:

http://www.autonerdz.com/flash/picointro.html

It's a bit dated in that shows the 212/3 series unit but it's still relevant.
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America