Meter view slows PicoScope down

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
Jose Queiros

Meter view slows PicoScope down

Post by Jose Queiros »

When a Meter view is open PicoScope R5.13.7 responds slower to user events and the refresh rate of other views opened (if any) lowers considerably (3-4 secs delay).

Can anyone help ?

Thanks,
Jose Queiros

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Jose

Did this happen with older versions?

The more windows you have open the slower it will be because it has to refresh each screen individually. This may be the case here.

Best Regards

Jose Queiros

Meter slows PicoScope down

Post by Jose Queiros »

Sarah wrote:Hi Jose

Did this happen with older versions?

The more windows you have open the slower it will be because it has to refresh each screen individually. This may be the case here.

Best Regards
Hi Sarah,

No it didn't at least in release 5.13.1.

One Meter window open is enough to increase its refresh rate (as well as the PicoScope frame window response time to events) to 3 to 4 secs !

What do you suggest ?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Jose

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello Jose,

Try to avoid the meter windows if you need a faster update rate. Use measurements from the measurement list.

I have attached a short video indicating how to add measurements in PicoScope.

Best regards,
Michael
Attachments
PSMeasurements.zip
AVI file showing how to add measurements in PicoScope
(290.92 KiB) Downloaded 926 times
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

Jose Queiros

Post by Jose Queiros »

Hi Michael,

The point is this did not happen on previous releases. Is the slowness I'm feeling a release bug or it's just happening here ?

Best regards,
Jose

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello Jose,

Which instrument are you using?

This may help us to understand what is going on here.

Regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

Jose Queiros

Post by Jose Queiros »

Hi Michael,

It's PS3206.

Best regards

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello Jose,

There has been some work on the meter view that may affect the update timing of the window. Paticularly if you are using a scope or spectrum view too.

If you have a slow timebase with a high sampling rate, this window will monopolise the scope until it has finished. The active windows will update in turn.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

Post by Guest »

Hello

I took delivery of a new 3223 this morning and am having even worse trouble than Jose with the meter view. PicoScope R5.13.7 repeatedly crashes with the 'Sorry, psw32.exe has to close' error. Task Manager shows the CPU is working 100% and even so cannot show both traces and the meter.

I have a Dell Latitude 600 with a 1 GHz processor running XP Pro SP2 and I certainly didn't expect it to be unable to cope when looking at a mains waveform and current measurement simultaneously. At the very least I would hope for graceful degradation not crashing with loss of data.

How do I reduce the sampling rate or whatever so I can use a timebase slower than 100ms/div? Also what do I need to do to play the file which you posted here, it doesn't even have the expected filename. Failing which can I downgrade to 5.13.1 if that worked better?

TIA Chris

jsalton

Post by jsalton »

I am having similar problems to Chris with my 3224.

Crashing of the scope application, forced re-boot of my machine when the scope crashes, inability to end the application psw32.exe after a crash using task manager, even after a second re-boot the drivers seem messed up and sometimes the USB device cannot be found. Very messy.

Also, I agree that the meter view is very slow updating. It also slows down the menus. Michael's response >>Try to avoid the meter windows if you need a faster update rate>> is not good enough. We should be able to use the meter at a decent update rate without screwing up the other windows.

Jonathan

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your posts.

There does seems to be a software bug going on here. We will look into it and pass on our findings to the software team who can investigate a fix.

For an older version of software please email us directly requesting which version you would like. Each version is a rather large file and we can only email the older versions (pre 5.13.7) as the newer ones are too big.

Best Regards