High CPU

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Mac software
cmug
User
User

High CPU

Post by cmug »

I just started with PicoScope I bought this week. I bought an used Model No 3204.
The software interface is clear and intuitive and for OSX, that's nice !
The problem I have is that the is extreem high CPU usage. I tried several changes in the preferences but nothing helps.
CPU goes up to 300% and did not lower if I stop collecting data. With High CPU values the software is also (very) bad responsive. I have borrowed an nearly new Series 5000 picoscope, but same problem. So I think it’s some thing te do with the software and not the hardware.
Tips are very helpful to solve this problem !
My configuration: OSX 10.11.3 PicoScope Beta 6.11.8.11 ; MonoFramework-MDK-4.2.2.30.macos10.xamarin.x86.pkg

Hitesh

Re: High CPU

Post by Hitesh »

Hi cmug,

Please try reverting to an older version of mono (e.g. 3.x) and see if it makes a difference.

It would be helpful to see the trace.xml file which is located in the following directory after you have closed the session:

~/.local/share/Pico\ Technology/260a68f1-30f-0a5e01d65514

Are there any particular steps you are taking before the CPU usage rising so high?

Regards,

cmug
User
User

Post by cmug »

Thanks for your answer,

I did do nothing special. Just an sinus signal from 2,5kHz on Channel A, Channel B off. Then click 'Auto setup' then click 'Trigger ‘Auto'. Then my CPU goes to up to very high levels

Did some ‘experiments’ with different Mono versions.
I found for myself an workflow for the software (I know it’s still Beta version so a bit improvising is accepted).
I use Mono version 4.0.4. After opening first click trigger ‘auto’, then click several times ‘auto setup’. CPU is now accepted value of circa 80%. If I stop measure it goes to the << 10 % (that excellent)

Send already technical support the trace.xml file to analyse (reading that file is outside my knowledge).

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi cmug,

Our Development Team are aware of this issue - it appears to be related to Mono.

From your e-mail support ticket I can see that you have a workaround for now.

Regards,