A PROPOS OF USB TO PARALLEL & BACK FOR OBSOLETE UNITS

Post any questions about our parallel port products
Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

A PROPOS OF USB TO PARALLEL & BACK FOR OBSOLETE UNITS

Post by Glovisol »

I have come across this inexpensive hardware that might solve all problems of USB to PARALLEL conversion.....

http://electronics-diy.com/USB_IO_Board.php

Have fun!

glovisol

Bilal
Active User
Active User

Re: A PROPOS OF USB TO PARALLEL & BACK FOR OBSOLETE UNITS

Post by Bilal »

Hello Glovisol,

Have you already tried this device? It would depend on what standard the developers have implemented as most are designed to control printers only and even then not all are supported. Being such an old protocol, there have been many standards developed over the years so we would need to see which would be required for our products. From what I understand it is very difficult to implement a full USB to parallel adapter which is why they are so difficult to come by and most manufacturers have only opted for a PCI card version. This device is developed for PIC tutorials for beginners and would not expect it to function with the full standard but I have contacted them to be sure and will let you know if it will be suitable.
Bilal Patel
Technical Support Engineer
Pico Technology

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

Hello Bilal,

I got interested in this device for another important Picolog project and in fact I have ordered 3 units already and expect to have them in my lab by mid-january. As I understand it, see below:

http://electronics-diy.com/USB_IO_Board.php

this unit will do nearly anything, provided you implement the proper software.

In any case I thank you in advance for sharing any info you might gain beforehand.

Kind regards,

Glovisol

Bilal
Active User
Active User

Post by Bilal »

Hi Glovisol,

I haven't received a reply from the company yet possibly due to the festive period and the description does not really state it's capabilities in terms of standards used. It would be great to see this work; please fill us in on how you get along with it and some information on your setup and operating system, would be very much appreciated. Thank you and hope all works out well.
Bilal Patel
Technical Support Engineer
Pico Technology

Glovisol
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Glovisol »

Hi Bilal,

Last week I have received the three kits. Each kit features a pre-programmed 2553 Micro. Basically the unit receives C++ commands and switches 16 output pins on and off accordingly. Furthermore the 16 pins are I/O, so the system has bi-directional capabilities. With the adhoc software this unit will look as another RS232 Port to the PC and data flow back and forth would be possible.

A control console can be downloaded and by writing in C++ you can in theory upload any script that will effect any code conversion according to any convenient standard. Surely C++ boffins at Pico could easily write the needed conversion software, myself surely being out of my depth here, at least for the time being.

In any case I shall keep you posted on what I shall eventually do with these kits.

Kind regards,

Glovisol