TC-08 inaccurate reading temperature

Having problems ? let us know the details here
Izzuddin

TC-08 inaccurate reading temperature

Post by Izzuddin »

I'm a college student in Indonesia. I'am on my research now.
I have a problem with TC-08 in my university laboratory, It's have innacurate reading when measure the laboratorie's temperature. It's have +40 degree celscius error from normal room temperature.
Please let me know there is away to fix this problem,
Sorry for my english

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC-08 inaccurate reading temperature

Post by alan »

Hi,

With no thermocouple plugged in to the channel what temperature does it read?

Are you set to degrees C or F?

Regards
Alan

SukRattan
User
User

Post by SukRattan »

HI

Yesterday I recieved my ordered pico USB TC-08 data logger. I installed the program and try to perform the test by using K-Type Thermocouple (-100'C - 200'C) with universal Connector but data logger records only room temperature value(23'C - 24'C) rather than recording the working temperature ( -10'C to 50'C).

I tried all channels but got same results and in addition there is no calibration certificate provided with the purchase of the data logger .

Please advice ASAP

Regards
Sukh

richard_boyd
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Post by richard_boyd »

Hello Sukh,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your USB TC-08. If I may ask, which thermocouple are you using along with which universal connector? Does the temperature reading in the software change at all when you plug the thermocouple into the device? What does the thermocouple read when you have it at room temperature? Does it change at all when the thermocouple is exposed to heat? If the USB TC-08 is simply reading room temperature with the thermocouple connected, it sounds as though either the thermocouple is open, or there is a bad connection with the connector itself. With an open connection, the device will simply be operating off the cold junction compensation circuit, essentially you would just be reading the temperature of the USB TC-08 circuit board itself, which will be pretty close to what your room temperature is.

All of our devices ship from us calibrated to meet our advertised specifications. If you do need a certificate for documentation stating what the device reads/error percentages, this is an additional fee ($83). When you placed your order, did you also order the calibration certificate? If so, you should have received a certificate from us. We can resend you a copy of this certificate, on the back of the device itself there will be a calibration sticker with the calibration date and the certificate number. If you email this certificate number to support@picotech.com we would be happy to provide you with another copy of the certificate.

If you did not order the device with the calibration certificate service, unfortunately we cannot generate a fresh certificate without receiving the device back and putting it through the test, as we do not retain the error percentage data on record on non-certified devices. If you need a RMA to send the unit back to be certified you can email support@picotech.com in order to fulfill this service for you. We can also alternatively provide you with a certificate of conformity for you without needing to go through the process of sending the unit back. This certificate basically states for your documentation records that the device met advertised specifications at the time of shipment, but will not include the data points.

Let me know if you have any questions on any of this, or have any other questions. Thanks for your time Sukh and have a great day!

Regards,
Richard Boyd

SukRattan
User
User

Post by SukRattan »

HI Richard
Thank you for reply and I tried to answer your questions related to the USB TC-08

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your USB TC-08. If I may ask, which thermocouple are you using along with which universal connector? Its K-Type, RTD Platinum Thermocouple with universal keyed connector (See the attached Picture)
K-Type Thermocouple, Keyed Connector
K-Type Thermocouple, Keyed Connector
. [/b][/color][/i]
Does the temperature reading in the software change at all when you plug the thermocouple into the device? No, the temperature reading does not change as I plug in the thermocouple.
What does the thermocouple read when you have it at room temperature? It reads 21°C to 24°C .
Does it change at all when the thermocouple is exposed to heat? When the thermocouple is exposed to -20°C to 50°C, it doesn’t show any change in the readings (same as the room temp).
If the USB TC-08 is simply reading room temperature with the thermocouple connected, it sounds as though either the thermocouple is open, What Opened Means
or there is a bad connection with the connector itself. With an open connection, the device will simply be operating off the cold junction compensation circuit, essentially you would just be reading the temperature of the USB TC-08 circuit board itself, which will be pretty close to what your room temperature is.

Thanks for your time Richard and please advise ASAP
Have a great day!

richard_boyd
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Post by richard_boyd »

Hello Sukh,

Thanks for getting back to me on the issues you are running into.

The first thing I will need more information on, is the sensor you are using. Do you have a part number for the sensor? The reason I ask is you state it is a K-Type, RTD Platinum Thermocouple. You see, a Platinum RTD sensor is a different sensor than a K-Type Thermocouple. One works off generating a voltage (thermcouple) while the other works off a change in resistance (RTD). If you are using a RTD sensor with the USB TC-08 it will not function properly.

Regards,

Richard Boyd
Pico Technology

SukRattan
User
User

Post by SukRattan »

Hello Richard

Thanks for getting back to me.

I really appreciate your help and the information you shared with me. I bought K-Type thermocouple(KHXL-14G-RSC-12) from omega and now TC-08 is work perfectly fine with this thermocouple. Recording the working temperature of the bath/Kiln.

Thank you again and have a nice day

Regards
Sukh

richard_boyd
PICO STAFF
PICO STAFF

Post by richard_boyd »

Hi Sukh,

Glad to hear, let me know if you have any other questions. Have a great day!

Regards,

Richard Boyd
Pico Technology