Latest mono version breaks picoscope

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
johe_dk

Latest mono version breaks picoscope

Post by johe_dk »

Hi
This might be a general issue. Picoscope version 6.11.8.10 does not work with the latest mono version (4.2.1). After reverting to mono version 3.2.8 picoscope works again.

Symptoms: Picoscope does not detect the hardware. Only the demo device is available. Both usbtest and the ps3000con programs still works fine.

Tested on Linux mint mate ver. 17.1 Rebecca, picoscope version 6.11.8.10 and model 3205 hardware.

mario_
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Latest mono version breaks picoscope

Post by mario_ »

Hi johe,

Thanks for letting us know. This has been already discovered with mono 4.2.1 running on mac os x, identified as affecting only this platform... The workaround implemented and released last week works, but it wasn't included in Linux release. It will have to wait for the next PicoScope release round I'm afraid (possibly Feb/March next year)

In mean time I advise to not use version advertised on mono-download website (4.2.1 / 4.3.0) and stick to system provided ones (most ubuntu clones will use 3.2.8 ).

Mario

johe_dk

Post by johe_dk »

Ok I'm looking forward to a solution.
In mean time I advise to not use version advertised on mono-download website (4.2.1 / 4.3.0) and stick to system provided ones (most ubuntu clones will use 3.2.8 ).
Unfortunately that is not an option for me. I'm depending on the newer version of mono for other stuff on my PC.
Best regards.
Jorgen

mario_
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mario_ »

Hi Jorgen,

Another thing to try in this case is to compile older version yourself and install it under different location. Then change /opt/picoscope/bin/picoscope script to use that version - modify MONOCMD variable acquisition to fixed value with new location in it.

Mario

iq2luc

Post by iq2luc »

Hi,

I confirm building mono 3.12.1 and gtk-sharp 2.12.29 solves the issue and picoscope application works just fine.
I'm on Arch Linux (where the default system-wide mono package is at version 4.2.2).

There is no need to downgrade the system packages: just configure, build and install the above two packages with another prefix (i.e. /opt/picoenv). Also don't forget to modify the official picoscope shell script: MONO_CMD=/opt/picoenv/bin/mono.

This way the system will continue to use the default system-wide mono and gtk-sharp packages, while picoscope will use the custom built ones.

Thanks,
Luc

gaffer206

Post by gaffer206 »

Thanks Luc, I'm trying this. On https://github.com/mono/gtk-sharp/releases I see 2.12.25 and 2.12.99.3. No mention of 2.12.29.

Julian

iq2luc

Post by iq2luc »

https://github.com/mono/gtk-sharp/archi ... .29.tar.gz
  • mono3 --> http://download.mono-project.com/source ... .1.tar.bz2
  • If you're on Arch Linux, I can send you my PKGBUILDs or even the prebuilt binaries for all needed packages (picoscope, libicoipp, libps6000, mono3 and gtk-sharp-2).

By the way, I'm a very happy 6402D user.

Take care,
    Luc
    -->
    Hi Julian,

We need gtk-sharp for GTK2.

Here are the links I used for getting the needed sources: If you're on Arch Linux, I can send you my PKGBUILDs or even the prebuilt binaries for all needed packages (picoscope, libicoipp, libps6000, mono3 and gtk-sharp-2).

By the way, I'm a very happy 6402D user.

Take care,
    Luc