ADC-11 logger. Diagram not correct after weekend

Forum for discussing PicoLog
Malte Johansson

ADC-11 logger. Diagram not correct after weekend

Post by Malte Johansson »

Using 6 channels of an ADC-11 logger. Set to measure every minute and stop after 50.000 logging. After the weekend 5272 was done correct but we cant se the diagram correct anymore. Sometimes half picture sometimes only some lines.

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

Please ensure you have the latest version of our software, go to: www.picotech.com/software.html
If this fails to fix the problem, please send me your plw files to: support@picotech.com

We will look at them for you.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

LarsW
User
User

Same problem with diagrams as Malte J?

Post by LarsW »

I seem to have the same problems as Malte Johansson described 31 January 2006 ("Diagram not correct after weekend"). I run at least 20 PLW applications in my lab (TC-08 serial, TC-08 USB and ADC-16) and some months ago the PLW running one of the TC-08:s lost the ability to show graphics correctly after about a day from start of the logging. Restarting PLW made it work well until 1-2 days later when it would be strange again. Now I have got the same problem on a laptop running WinXP (English) and a ADC-16. I downloaded the latest PLW and the problem persists (could there be something from the old version left? Should I have removed the old PLW before installing the new?)

The problem is as follows: The graph freezes, but the logging goes on and you can see the values changing in the Recorder window. You can look at the full graph by opening the Player (but this graph will of course not be updated) and the data is perfectly ok afterwards.

When the graphic freezes, the curves usually disappear and the Recorder buttons are lost from view, but they can be used as the pop-up windows for the buttons are active. The graph window goes very strange and you cannot use it at all. Sometimes part of the old diagram is left, all buttons diappear and moving other windows over the PLW-graph makes it disappear.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

You should not need to uninstall before installing new software - I haven't and everything works ok for me.

With regards the graph not updating, this is usually related to file size. Try creating smaller files and using the "Repeat Immediately" function instead to break things up a bit. This puts less load on the software and computer.

Let me know how you get on.

Best Regards

LarsW
User
User

Post by LarsW »

No, the file size is not the problem. I get this problem on two of my Pico-loggers (I have many more running without any problems) and the diagram goes strange after about one day collecting 8 channels @ 5 s (not much) every time I use these computers. I regularly collect for at least a week with the same rate without any problems.

Some details on the problem:

1. When the problem occurs the Graph stops updating and all Graph buttons disappears. The three Windows buttons in the top right corner are still there so it is possible to close the window.
2. If I open Graph again (after having closed it) two things happen: A. The Graph opens, but it contains nothing except a black diagram box and time and y-coordinate in the top left corner (these numbers do not change when the mouse is moved over the Graph). B. The Recorder buttons and the Windows pull-down menues disappear, but the pop-up texts are still active and at least the menus are active so it is possible to for example lauch the Player.

When this problem has occured the logging continues and the numbers in the Recorder window show the actual values. With the player it is possible to open a still running file and display the result (but this Graph will of course not be updated).

Note that the problem occurs on two of my systems (laptops with Windows XP) every time these are used. One runs a TC-08 and the other an ADC-16.

To me it seems that this problem has something to do with how Windows and PLW communicate.

LarsW
User
User

Post by LarsW »

Now we have got the problem on a third computer also...and some new facts about it. It seems to be connected to the number of data logged. Previously we have seen the problem in the morning after having started logging the day before with 5 s interval. Changing to 1 s interval made the graphics crash in 4-5 h. My guess is then that it has something to do with the way that the data is stored in memory for fast access for Graph (not the storing in the file).

I have also attched a picture of how it can look
Attachments
PLW crash screen (1) mini.JPG
(62.64 KiB) Downloaded 1787 times