6404D not detected in Ubuntu

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
mgabriel

6404D not detected in Ubuntu

Post by mgabriel »

Hello all,

I have a 6404D picoscope and want to use it with Ubuntu 14.04.
I installed the newest drivers and picoscope software.
The problem is now, that most of the time the picoscope is not detected by the OS or the picoscope software.
Lsusb output is not mentioning a picoscope device and the same goes for dmesg.

Only very occasionally the scope is detected and than working fine. When and or why it is detected and when not is beyond my current understanding and seems random to me. When using an older 6403 everything works fine and the scope is always detected.

For any ideas regarding this problem I what be very thankful!

M. Gabriel

Hitesh

Re: 6404D not detected in Ubuntu

Post by Hitesh »

Hi M. Gabriel,

I have responded via your e-mail support ticket with the following:

In order to help diagnose what could be causing the problem could you please advise of the following:
  • Are you using the supplied USB 3.0 cable and power supply?
  • Are you connecting the PicoScope 6404D to USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports on the PC?
  • Does the PicoScope work on a PC running a Windows operating system?
  • Have you run sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get install picoscope to ensure that you are using the latest version of the software
It would be useful to locate and send by reply the trace.xml file corresponding to the last session where the PicoScope 6404D did not work with the software - this can be found in the folder:

Code: Select all

~/.local/share/Pico Technology/260a68f1-30f-0a5e01d65514
One further step to try is to run the usbtest application located in the driver package when PicoScope 6 is not running. If you have not done so, download the libps6000 package:

sudo apt-get install libps6000
Then navigate to:

/opt/picoscope/share/doc/libps6000
Run ./usbtest (as a super user) and see if the application detects the PicoScope.

Regards,