Signal Averaging

Which product is right for your exact requirements
paulsils

Signal Averaging

Post by paulsils »

I notice that you can use the Math function for Averaging and that the default number of waveforms held by the buffer is 32. What is the maximum number of waveforms I can average ?. Or is there a formula I can use to calculate this ?.
Thanks Paul ...

Hitesh

Re: Signal Averaging

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Paul,

The maximum number of waveforms that can be captured in PicoScope 6 is 10000 (this will also depend on the number of samples and the timebase selected).

The average function operates on all waveforms collected since the last restart of data capture.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Hitesh on Wed May 07, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated averaging description.

Rastko

Post by Rastko »

Hello Paul, Hitesh,

I was wondering can this:
The average function operates on all waveforms collected since the last restart of data capture.
be changed so that I can average the last 5 buffers in memory? Something like Average(D,5) would really help me where LowPass can't.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Rastko,

You could set the number of waveforms to collect to 5 in the Tools -> Preferences dialog.

You can then set up your Maths Channel to average the waveforms and use the Tools -> Alarms feature to save a file to disk every time the buffers become full (i.e. 5 waveforms have been collected) and then restart the capture.

Please note that some time will be lost between the restart while the file is saved to disk.

I hope that this helps.

Rastko

Post by Rastko »

Thanks for the idea Hitesh. I was hoping to do that on the go since I need to do this kind of averaging at least 50 times in a measurement. Even if I would succeed at this it would still be tedious to populate a table with these values .

Is there a way to batch process a set of measurements (psdata)? Something like: open each file in a folder, read out the value of a (math) channel at a defined time and save the values in a form of a column?

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Rastko,

You can use the ability to batch convert psdata files to csv via the command line interface (search for 'command line syntax' in the PicoScope 6 User's Guide available via the Help menu).

I guess you would then have to write an application to load each file looking for the particular time to get the average waveform value at that point). Note that the average displayed will be the average of all the waveforms in the file.

Please note that the export to csv file is limited to just over 1 million samples per channel.

Regards,