adc200.sys not loaded & regdrive?

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
monte909
User
User

adc200.sys not loaded & regdrive?

Post by monte909 »

Hello,

I am trying to install some software which controls an adc200 directly, and works on Win 98/ME fine.

I am now trying to install it on XP and have read the posts which discuss registering the latest adc200.sys using regdrive.exe.

How can I confirm that the driver has been 'registered' , after using regdrive.exe.?

ALso, is this the correct way to use regdrive ?

Lets say regdrive is in c:\pico and adc200.sys is in c:\windows\system32\drivers, then i execute the command 'c:\pico regdrive adc200' in the RUN command box in XP.

Will software which call previous versions of ADC20032.dll work with the latest ADC20032.dll (6.0.0.0) ? or how do I keep track of which version to use ?

Thanks for any help.

monte909
User
User

some more

Post by monte909 »

Hi,

I realize my question is basic, but I hope Support can either direct me to a previous post or make some suggestions as these XP interface issues are rather frustrating.

Ive tried looking into device manager (as suggested in a previous post) but cannot find references to pico or adc200.

I'ld liketo install these drivers on a virgin machine without resorting to installing 'picoscope' software at all (which prob'ly does the adc200.sys registration itself).

Thanks for any help.

M909

dharr
User
User

Similarly frustrated

Post by dharr »

I'd like to second Monte's frustration. I have spent 9 hours today trying many combinations to solve this. I have no problems on my Win 2000 machine. I have software successfully running on 3 XP machines installed on earlier ocassions, and even though I now have the same versions and locations of the files adc200.sys, picopp.sys, picopp.inf, adc20032.dll I am getting error message 13 (H0 S16) when I'm at the right port and error 13 (H255 S16) when I'm at the wrong port. In this last attempt I installed the drivers from the r3_03 installation, and then adc20032.dll from my visual basic 6 installer. I can do the regdrive thing or not (though perhaps not correctly; I have the same question as Monte on this - I did it via the command line prompt in a directory where regdrive was but adc200.sys wasn't - adc200.sys was in windows/system32/drivers.)

Do I have to install picoscope rather than the drivers first - surely not? Like Monte, I think it should be possible to direct all files from an installation program to the right locations on a clean machine.

Perhaps I've now irretrievably mucked up my registry. Certainly one of my machines is now hanging frequently.

It would be helpful to know what the exact sequence of steps should be to get these files in the right places. I would still like to know what the error messages mean; in the forum people have asked this several times and no answers seem to be forthcoming.

dharr
User
User

reduced frustrations

Post by dharr »

So now by forcing the parallel port to output only in the bios, I have got working results on one more XP machine. On the other hand I have had the software successfully running on 3 XP machines with bidirectional ports for a long time; also on my 2000 machine with ECP.

The remaining machine has an error 13 (H something S204) even with output only. I suppose I'll play around with that some more, various versions, regdrive and so on.

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

Try using our software installation programme as if you were installing the software and select the ADCxx unit to install.

The parallel port problems you have reported are common when running parallel port in modes other than uni directional, normal or output only.

Problems persist of your BIOS settings have mapped the parallel port to a different address.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

dharr
User
User

Installing cleanly

Post by dharr »

I don't really want to install the pico drivers first (especially since the user gets asked which port and on various computers I use LPT1, LPT2, LPT3 and USB). I want the users to install only the application, and choose the port though menu selection in the application. I finally had some success on a clean machine by (though I can't be certain it was clean) by
1. port to output only in the bios
2. getting the VB6 installer to put
adc200.sys in $(winsyspath)\drivers
picopp.sys in $(winsyspath)\drivers
adc20032.dll in $(winsyspath)
picopp.inf in $(winsyspath)\inf
3. reboot after install

I didn't need regdrive (though there is a chance this is because it had been done before on this machine) - presumably the installer registers all of these.

My conclusion after all my fiddling around is that output only in the bios is essential for the latest version of the drivers. However, I have three XP machines running the version 3 drivers with bidirectional ports so in the end it is a rather confusing situation.

dharr
User
User

Installing cleanly - correction

Post by dharr »

oops - picopp.inf should be in $(winpath)\inf not $(winsyspath)\inf

monte909
User
User

can Support comment further please?

Post by monte909 »

Hello all,

Thanks to dharr for chipping in to answer my question. However I would appreciate if Support could answer my first very specific question ie: how can I tell if regdrive has installed the adc200.sys driver onto an XP machine?

I am still getting 'adc200.sys driver not loaded' after doing an adc-open_unit(1). This suggests to me that my attempt is failing at this very early stage.

Once I get this resolved I can then consider issues such as port mapping in the BIOS, versions of driver dll, and so on.

Can Support put together a comprehensive guide to installing the bare minimum software for running an ADC200 with ones own software on XP.

There are plenty of users out there using the pico hardware alone and I suspect that repeating this information would be much appreciated. At the very least, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
M909

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

When you download our drivers and examples bundle the installation here will install the "bare minimum" in drivers and system files. I would recommend doing this. You do need to be logged in as an administrator for it to copy all the file accorss correctly.

The adc200.sys file resides in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers so you can check to see if it is installed there.

Let me know if you see any further problems.

Best Regards

monte909
User
User

OK..getting warm

Post by monte909 »

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for your reply to me.
I have run weba200-r4-02.exe and installed minimum drivers on a virgin XP machine.

adc200.sys is in c:/win../sys32/drivers, and have rebooted.

The manual says check 'device manager' to confirm adc200.sys is installed.
OK, have done that but...

Q1) Where does one look in 'device manager' to see reference to adc200 ?...to confirm its loaded.

Secondly, I noticed that adc2xx.pdf says for nT, that LPT1=378 & LPT2=278, however the manual that comes with weba200..... says LPT1=278, LPT2=378.

Q2) Could you please clarify as this may be an issue later on.

Thanks for walking me (and others presumably) thru' this.
M909

monte909
User
User

any answers ?

Post by monte909 »

Hello,

are any answers or suggestions about the adc200.sys question available ?

How does one know the adc200.sys is loaded (after executing regdrive) so that trouble shooting can move on.

The aim is to be able to install the bare minimum drivers for using an adc200 with ones own software.

Any help appreciated,

M909

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

You will need to consult the system information programme in windows. Look for Software Environment>System Drivers>>adc200. The Driver should show installed and running. If not, there was a problem installing or the machine was not restarted.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum