Panoramic View

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
tridy

Panoramic View

Post by tridy »

Hello.
In PicoScope, is it possible to see the readings in a panoramic view and not in separate screens? I would like to see one long reading and not scroll through each reading page. I can export them and then join in another application but it would leave the gaps between the pages.

Here is an example where 2 exported screens are joined together in an editor. The yellow marking shows that there was a border in the first image that now prevents the image from looking as one:
gaps.png
is there anohter way of doing it?

thanks.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Panoramic View

Post by Martyn »

Which scope do you have, and over what time period do you wish to view a continuous set of data ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

tridy

Post by tridy »

I am quite new to this, and I got 2204A for experimenting/decoding of 433.92 signal from a RF receiver.

I send a signal from a remote control and then stop the capture. Since the noise and the actual signal have the same voltage, it's the length of each "high" and "low" that makes it distinguishable from the rest of the noise. So, I don't know how to set a trigger on it. Otherwise, it's less than a second that I am interested it. but there is some delay between when the signal is sent and me pressing the stop button to stop recording. What I get is 8 screens of signal and then 4 screens that is the time until I press the stop button. So, I work from the last screen most of the time.

here yellow marked part is the noise and then the signal that I want starts, I think
noise vs signal.png

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

In the first instance I would suggest setting the timebase to 2s/div at the top of the screen, the number of samples to 10MS or greater, and then it will capture 20 seconds of data on one screen. You can then use the x1 zoom box and change this higher to zoom in on the captured trace to see the detail.

I also note that you have pulled in the green circle rulers from the right hand side, these are phase rulers, if you want time pull in the white square rulers from the left hand side of the screen.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

tridy

Post by tridy »

Thanks, Martyn.

I got it working the way I need:
better.png
Now it's time for decoding with some paper and a pencil.

Mark_O
Advanced

Post by Mark_O »

tridy wrote:...it's the length of each "high" and "low" that makes it distinguishable from the rest of the noise. So, I don't know how to set a trigger on it. Otherwise, it's less than a second that I am interested it. but there is some delay between when the signal is sent and me pressing the stop button to stop recording.
Hi, tridy.

When you don't really know the characteristics well of the signal you're trying to analyze, then Martyn's suggestion is good, and it will get you the entire transaction on one screen. No cut and paste required. :) From there, you can slide over to the region of interest, and zoom in to examine things in more detail. Because of the deep memory on the PicoScope, you'll still have 500 samples per msec, even when capturing a large 20 sec span.

If you then find that the signals are always consistent with your last screen shot example, you can set your trigger to Pulse Width, low, >800 usec. Amplitude anywhere from 1-4V. All the 'noise' on the left is <=400 usec in the low state, followed by a 850 usec low Start pulse. (Perhaps with 5% pre-trigger, if you want to confirm what's happening just before.)

And then set the time-base to ~100 msec/div. That will let you focus exclusively on the ~1 sec you're interested in, and even visualize the data traffic in real-time. You also won't have to try to trigger manually, to catch your burst transmission.

From that point out, your low 'gaps' seem to be consistently 1.2 msec, with a varying number (1,2,3,n) of positive pulses between them.

- Mark

Mark_O
Advanced

Post by Mark_O »

That's what happens when you get pulled away in the middle of composing a post.

Someone quickly posts that they've solved their problem, before you get your suggestion out.

Ha ha. :lol:

- Mark

tridy

Post by tridy »

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help.

I will try to implement a trigger some time later, that would say that the first longer pause will trigger it and read for a second or so.

regards