Streaming out of the box

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Janooo

Streaming out of the box

Post by Janooo »

Hello,
Is there a possibility to stream data with PicoScope 6 software out of the box?
I was not able to find anything about that in the documentation.
Thanks,
Jano

Hitesh

Re: Streaming out of the box

Post by Hitesh »

Hello Jano,

By default the slow sampling transition point (where it switches to streaming mode data collection) is set to 200ms/div, so switch to this or a slower timebase (highlighted in red) and adjust the number of samples (highlighted in blue) and you will be able to collect data in streaming mode.
Streaming mode capture setup
Streaming mode capture setup
You can edit the point at which the software switches to streaming mode via the Tools -> Preferences menu (click on the Sampling tab).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Janooo

Post by Janooo »

Thank you Hitesh,
It's helpful. Still maybe I missed something.
I imagined streaming as a feature that records continuously all the data into a file, preferably text file, with a timestamp, values, ...
I do not see a place where I can setup a file for the continuous streaming.
Is there a streaming file?
Can it be a csv file?
Is there a timestamp, computer time when a frame was obtained?
Do I have to write my own program for that?
Is there a library of open source programs that do something similar?

Thank you,
Jano

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Jano,

The PicoScope 6 application collects data into PC memory in streaming mode data collection rather than capturing to disk. When you stop the collection and save the data, it is then written to file. The maximum record length when capturing data in streaming mode is 100MS (shared between all channels).

A csv export is possible once the data has been captured but will only capture just over 1 million samples per channel.

You can use the Alarms function to save data to disk at the end of a capture or when the buffers are full:

Please note that there will be a small amount of dead-time between buffers, including the time taken to save the data to disk.

The Properties window will show the time at the start of the capture but is only provides the time as HH:MM:SS.

I have seen that you are using a PicoScope 6404D and programming using C# on another thread - you can use the streaming data parts of the code as a basis for your application.

Regards,