TC-08 serial / usb grounding & noise on signal

Post any questions you may have about our current range of USB data loggers
Marc

TC-08 serial / usb grounding & noise on signal

Post by Marc »

Hello,

Recently I bought a TC-08 USB to replace a serial TC-08.

The serial TC-08 gave usually very good results, as long as I connected an ground-wire between the outer shell of the serial connector and a grounding point: I am measuring in the vincinity of an induction oven, there is a lot of electrical noise around. Without this, usually the measured temperature signal fluctuates several 100ths of degrees.

The measured temperatures with the USB TC-08 do not fluctuate that heavily, but the signal is also not as 'clean' as I am used to.

Question is how to solve this or how to ground the USB TC-08???

Many thanks!
Marc

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

The older USB TC-08's have a small hole located next to the USB socket. You could connect a 4mm banana jack to earth from here.
If your TC-08 does not have this hole, you can return your TC-08 to us for this to be added. We will not charge you for this.

If you would like to di this, please email us at: tech@picotech.com

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum

Marc

Post by Marc »

Thanks,

with the added grounding socket it works just fine!

Regards,
Marc

rayclout

Re: same problem

Post by rayclout »

I am having the same problem here, and the unit is the newer type without the hole.

I'm not keen on sending the unit from Australia to the UK, even if the refit is free. I'm sure you can understand.

can you send me the details of how we might do it ourselves.

regards

RichB
User
User

usb tc-08 grounding jack

Post by RichB »

I would also like to add a ground to the newer usb tc08 that does not have the 4mm jack. Would you please post instructions on how to accomplish this?

Alternatively, could I just connect a ground wire to the PC chassis?

thanks, Rich.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Rich

Yes you could ground the chassis or you can contact us for a return number and will we put a ground port into your unit.

Best Regards