Using Picoscope to decode DCC signals ?

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
oldtechman

Using Picoscope to decode DCC signals ?

Post by oldtechman »

I am currently using a Picoscope 2204 and software v 6.10.12.2 to view DCC waveforms (generated using a Raspberry Pi and Gertbot). The system sends the correct signals to my model train, and the Picoscope displays the expected waveforms, but I am unable to set up the Serial Decoding options to decode and display messages. I have tried many combinations of filter settings and start conditions without success. The only readout I get consists of repeated 0xFF characters, presumably the idle state of the line. Any guidance in how to set up this (potentially very useful) display would be welcome. Your manual does not cover this new feature yet.
May I add that I have used the Picoscope in the past to decode !2C waveforms, and had no problem with this.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using Picoscope to decode DCC signals ?

Post by Martyn »

Please try the beta software from https://www.picotech.com/downloadswe have improved the decoding.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

oldtechman

Post by oldtechman »

Thanks for your help ! I have downloaded v 6.11.4.929, and can now read DCC data correctly. My only problem now is stopping data capture after a message has been read, and before the buffers fill up. I note that the 'accumulate' and 'clear' options on the previous version are no longer present, and there is no 'start from' button (as in other protocols), so I'm on a learning curve about how to drive this correctly. Anyway, congratulations on providing this excellent facility.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Good to hear it is working correctly, any further questions post back or email support@picotech.com

For information the buttons were intentionally removed by the development team.
Martyn

Mark_O
Advanced

Post by Mark_O »

Martyn wrote:For information, the buttons were intentionally removed by the development team.
Could you comment on the reason why? I.e., one might think that Accumulate and Clear would be useful to have, so why are they considered no longer necessary?

Thanks!

- Mark

Mark_O
Advanced

Post by Mark_O »

So I'm still wondering...

has the Accumulate capability just been eliminated completely? That would explain why Clear would be removed.

It doesn't explain though why a useful capability would be removed. Or, does it just Accumulate all the time now? If so, how does a Clear occur?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The beta software has two options, display the decoded data from the current buffer, and display the decoded data from all the buffers. It is possible to switch between these two modes and the table will be re-populated with the appropriate data.
Martyn