Huge CPU load in Pico log

Forum for discussing PicoLog
JormaJK

Huge CPU load in Pico log

Post by JormaJK »

When I'm running DRDaq / Picolog with sample interval 1/min and readings per sample is single the logger sw still utilizes 75% of the cpu.
DrDaq Driver v 2.0 / Pico.sys v 1.6 / Picolog fro Win 5.09.6
Uhm. I just realised that even the the data collection is not running the
PLW recorder still grabs 75% of CPU. Any ideas ?

Regards,

Jorma

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

The CPU time given to the Picolog software is provided by the Operating System. The OS will give as much resources as it has available. If you had other programs running on the OS at the same time as Picolog you should see the CPU time go down for Picolog as the OS splits the time between the other resources as well.

What you are getting is quite normal.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

otto

cpu time

Post by otto »

no !! thats an impotent driver !!!
Do you know haw to make a thread ??
After open ADC11 on USB I need 99% CPU time!!

otto

moaltmann

Post by moaltmann »

I'm afraid I must agree -- I am suprised about the CPU usage of PicoLog (PLW32.exe V5.12.6 on WinXP Prof SP2).

PicoLog certainly does show up in the taskmanager as using all available CPU power as long as it is running. (Interestingly, it doesn't matter whether or not my ADC-11 USB is plugged in or not!)

However, it hasn't ever affected my other applications (e.g. causing delays,...). Hence, it seems to run with a lower priority (which it doesn't - it runs at the "normal" priority, check in the task manager). Nevertheless, the fan of my laptop is significantly more audible when PicoLog is running suggesting that the CPU isn't just doing NOPs.

Needsless to say that I am suprised (and a bit concerned) -- surely, if all other programs are able to only require CPU cycles when doing actual work this can be implemented in the PicoLog software.

Regards,
Mischa Altmann