Question about oversampling

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
bart
User
User

Question about oversampling

Post by bart »

When using oversampling, does the ADC 212 take the oversampled readings as close together as possible (333 ns)?

ie, if I set oversampling to 4, and a sampling timebase of 10 (1.36 ms), will the ADC take four readings 333ns apart for each reading and then wait about a millisecond before doing another four for the next reading?

Or does it take four readings at about 0.34 millisec apart?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Bart

Thank you for your questions.

Using these settings you would get one sample every 1.36 ms, but this would be an average of 4 samples taken at 0.34 ms intervals.

Hope that explains it.

Best Regards

bart
User
User

Post by bart »

Thanks Sarah, that does clearly answer the question.

I am a bit disappointed with the answer though. Effectively oversampling does nothing but a bit of averaging, that could just as easily be done by the caller.

I think it would be better to take the 'oversampled' samples at the highest frequency. Would this be possible to do through the drivers, or is there a hardware limitation that prevents the ADC 212 doing this?

Thanks

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

I don't think it would be possible to do through the drivers. It isn't at present as the function calls do not support it. Instead it would require a re-write of the function in the driver and I do not think this will happen. I don't know if there are any hardware limitations however there could be.

Best Regards