Voltage, Current and transient measurments.

Which product is right for your exact requirements
J.M. Finneran

Voltage, Current and transient measurments.

Post by J.M. Finneran »

I am looking to purpose a PC Scope and need to know which unit would be the best for my applications. I want to be able to measure voltage, current and the spike or spikes which occur during an electrical arc. I will be monitoring inrush currents, voltage spikes and the waveform the voltage spike causes. The testing has to do with the current spike a circuit breaker would see during an electrical event.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

What size voltages are you looking at? If the voltage is going to go above ±20V then you will need to use an attentuating probe to bring it into range.

Do you have a desired spectrum bandwidth, or resolution that the scope should be?

Best Regards

Carl Grotti
Active User
Active User

Post by Carl Grotti »

Hi Sarah,

I can't be sure, but it seems as though the poster is testing breaker limitations. Maybe durations of high current when "trip" takes place? Like you mentioned, the voltage is a major consideration here. I'm wondering myself if mains are involved.

Carl

Pavlik

The same question

Post by Pavlik »

Signal frequency 10 - 30 MHZ
Signal magnitude 0 to 0,1V
Need FFT
randomly distributed events
Need FastFrame mode (Tektronix) or similar

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for the extra information.

With a bandwidth of 30MHz you would really need to use the PS3205 or PS3206 as these are the only scopes which would be able to see a 30MHz signal. Both of them have ±100mV ranges and above and so would be able to see a 0 to 0.1V signal.

I am not sure what FastFrame mode is, can you give me some more information as to how this works? I can then advise as to whether our products can do this. The software will certainly enable you to perform FFT.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Pavlik

FFT

Post by Pavlik »

There is more info. from the Tectronix user manual:

FastFrameTM
You can define and enable FastFrameTM (also called “segmented memoryâ€

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

I do not believe that this is something that our units can do. I believe my colleague is responding to the email you sent with the pictures.

Best Regards