CSV export only saves part of the waveform

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
pvh1987

CSV export only saves part of the waveform

Post by pvh1987 »

I need to export approximately 400 MS of measurements from two channels in CSV format for further analysis. The save dialog warns me about a large file size of 339 MB. I save the file and find out that the file saved is only about 35 MB. In my export I only have measurements for the first 200 ms although the whole waveform is 2 seconds.

Is this a bug or have I missed a setting somewhere?

Thanks in advance :)

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CSV export only saves part of the waveform

Post by Martyn »

The PicoScope software limits CSV exports to a million samples, this is an import limit of excel. Full data sets greater than this limit can only be saved as .mat (MATLAB format), or .psdata
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

pvh1987

Post by pvh1987 »

Thanks for your response, Martyn. :)

I think it is wrong to limit the CSV-export just because Excel have a problem with big files, especially without warning the user, that the file is going to be truncated. By the way, I did a .MAT export and it worked fine. The downside is that users will need to have Matlab or other third party tools to be able to use this kind of file. I hope that CSV-file export will not be limited in the future.

I wonder if there is a file format specification for the PSDATA-files? If so, I am very interested. Those files contains more information than MAT-files and CSV-files and does not take up as much space. I am asking because I do a lot of programming and need a good way to import waveforms into my own programs.

Thanks in advance :)

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bennog »

pvh1987 wrote:I wonder if there is a file format specification for the PSDATA-files? If so, I am very interested. Those files contains more information than MAT-files and CSV-files and does not take up as much space. I am asking because I do a lot of programming and need a good way to import waveforms into my own programs.
There is already a topic about this.
There are more people who want to read / write .psdata to make max use of the picoscope hard / software.

topic12593.html

Benno