Problem with SDK on WinXP 32bit (PicoScope6404D)

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
rph

Problem with SDK on WinXP 32bit (PicoScope6404D)

Post by rph »

I'm using a PicoScope 6404D and would like to use LABVIEW. I have two systems available for testing:

- Office:
Windows 7 (64bit),
LabView 2014 (32bit)
Excel 2010
USB3.0/USB2.0
- Lab:
WinXP (32bit),
LabView 2014 (32bit)
Excel 2007
USB2.0

Installation:
PS6000sdk_r10_5_2_1.zip
PicoScope6_r6_10_16.exe

Facts:
1) The scope is running with the PicoScope6 Software on both systems without any problems
2) Labview example on the Windows 7 computer works fine (32bit driver)
3) Excel example on the Windows 7 computer works (but ps6000wrapper.dll cannot be found)
3) Excel/Labview on the WinXP system gives always the error PICO_NOT_FOUND (ErrorCode 3 / 5003)

The following drivers (I only use 32bit):

PicoIpp.dll
ps6000.dll
ps6000Wrap.dll
PicoScope6000.llb

are located in the following directories:

Both systems: C:\Windows\System32
XP: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\resource
Windows7: C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\resource

The device driver (Windows device manager) is:
CYUSB3.sys (Version 1.3.0 from 2/11/2015) (installed through PicoScope6 and DPInst.exe) and
WdfCoInstaller01009.dll

I tried already many things that I read in this forum:

1) Unplugging power and USB cable after each attempt
2) Closing software completly when getting an error
3) Using only one software at the same time (PicoScope6/Excel/Labview)
4) Reinstalling PicoScope6 and all drivers

I found in the manual something about the API driver for USB 2.0. that i cannot find within the SDK:
picopp.sys and WinUsb.sys. Is there a way to download them?

Could you please help me getting the WinXP systems running?

Hitesh

Re: Problem with SDK on WinXP 32bit (PicoScope6404D)

Post by Hitesh »

Hi rph,
Excel example on the Windows 7 computer works (but ps6000wrapper.dll cannot be found)
You most likely need to install the 32-bit Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable package in order ro resolve this.

For your Windows XP PC, try copying the ps6000.dll and picoipp.dll files from the PicoScope 6 installation directory (C:\Program Files\Pico Technology\PicoScope6) into the LabVIEW resource folder. This is due to the fact that PicoScope 6.10.16 has an updated set of USB kernel drivers which are not compatible with those dlls provided in the SDK (a new SDK release is due soon).

The ps6000Wrap.dll is not affected by this.

If this does not work, please e-mail support@picotech.com and we can provide some updated dll files.

Regards,

rph

Post by rph »

I managed to solve the issue in the meantime without installing the Visual C++ Package. I cannot reproduce how I solved it, but it was someting like the suggested solution (replacing the SDK driver with the PicoScope 6.10 driver.)

Apparently the SDK and software provide at least three (or more) different driver versions with the same name "ps6000.dll". The instructions were sometimes not really helpful or even misleading.
For example it was not clear for me that the x64 driver are only needed if the software is x64 (e.g. Labview 2014 64bit).

So I spent quite some time installing the x64 drivers on my Win7 64bit with Labview 2014 32bit without success.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi rph,

Good to hear that the issue has been resolved.

The reason why there there are different version numbers for the drivers is that a build of PicoScope 6 might be released before an SDK build and vice-versa.

We will be moving over to a new SDK installer system with separate installers for 32-bit and 64-bit drivers. This should be available via our Downloads page in the near future.

Regards,