Jumps in Temperature Data from PicoLog TC-08

Forum for discussing PicoLog
cori.rose.schroer

Jumps in Temperature Data from PicoLog TC-08

Post by cori.rose.schroer »

Occasionally during data collection, jumps of about 6 or 7 degrees C occur in the data. The jumps occur instantly and within stable conditions and could be either increasing or decreasing in temperature. It can occur in only one probe, or all of them. It is also quite rare and occurs with different generations of thermocouples. Is there anything I could do to prevent these inconsistencies?

Hitesh

Re: Jumps in Temperature Data from PicoLog TC-08

Post by Hitesh »

Hi cori.rose.schroer,

Are you using a desktop or laptop PC? If it is a laptop are you using mains or battery power?

Are the thermocouples touching any metallic or ceramic surfaces?

Regards,

cori.rose.schroer

It has occurred on both a laptop and PC it only operates from usb power. It is monitoring temperatures of an AC-DC power supply and a printed circuit board. So yes.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I would suggest insulating the thermocouple tips, dipping in varnish will do, and also try using the laptop without the laptop power supply being connected.

Both of these suggestions will eliminate any potential ground loops.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

cori.rose.schroer

What type of Varnish do you suggest? Our tests are run for lengths of time longer than the battery would last on a laptop. Do you think the varnish would help enough by itself?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

It is not something I have done myself so don't have a specific type, clear varnish is what others have tried. This may work on it's own.

Trying the laptop on battery would be a quick test to see if resolves the issue, not a long term logging solution. If it does prevent the jumps then the supply may inducing some noise, or that it is grounded, so a different supply may be better.

The other issue could be that the thermocouple wires are picking up noise from the circuit under test so consider rerouting the wires.

It is often a case of trying different solutions to work out which one is the correct option in your situation.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

cori.rose.schroer

thank you.