Problem: ADC-212 & Win XP SP2 "can´t find product

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
Dal

Problem: ADC-212 & Win XP SP2 "can´t find product

Post by Dal »

Hi,

I´m experiencing problems with my ADC-212/3 and 212/50 boards, connected through the Parallel Port to my Compaq Presario notebook (OS is Win XP SP2). Problem is I cannot escape from "Can´t find product (ADC-212)" message in Pico Scope software.

I checked power connection, and it´s OK.
I downloaded and installed last Pico Scope version 5-12-8 but I still get the same message.
I looked into Accesories|System Information|Software|System drivers, and adc200.sys is running fine.
I read your recommendations in the help forum about parallel port modes settings, but unfortunately these options are not available in the bios of this poor machine. And of course there´s no newer version of bios to update which could help to modify these settings.

I know it´s a software bug, since I used my ADC board in this same notebook about 2 weeks ago, before installing Win XP SP2, when I was still using Win 2000, and it was working fine (and bios was the same as now, which should mean it has nothing to do with bios). I also made it work immediately in my desktop PC running Win XP SP1. Seems like a problem between PicoScope and Win XP SP2, huh? I know it isn´t a Parallel port problem, since i tried connecting two different printers to my LPT1 port and I obtain instant recognition after restarting (by the way, I updated to last Win XP parallel port driver).

Do you have any idea what else can I try? Please don´t tell me to go back to the Win 2000 OS, or to buy the USB to Parallel converter ("the easy way"), which I refuse to do since I think it´s a software problem, and it should be up to you to make it work. Hope hearing from you soon, thank you!

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear that you have been seeing problems.

This issue is not a software one but usually a hardware one. Is the computer with Win2000 a different one to the computer with WinXP? The compatibility of the parallel port could still be an issue, even though printers do run on it. This is because printers use less pins than our units and some manufacturers do not connect the pins not being used by printers.

Make sure that the printers are pointed at a different port or uninstalled as these could be causing a driver conflict.

What mode is the parallel port set to in the BIOS? I am aware that this mode has worked under Win2000 but some modes can be temporamental and thus will not always work but will in some situations. If you do not have the ones that we recommend then try the other modes and see if any of these help. This is normally the issue and is certainly worth checking.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Best Regards

Dal

Post by Dal »

Hi, Sarah

Thank you for your reply.
Is the computer with Win2000 a different one to the computer with WinXP? The compatibility of the parallel port could still be an issue, even though printers do run on it. This is because printers use less pins than our units and some manufacturers do not connect the pins not being used by printers.
Yes, it's exactly the same computer, I just upgraded OS from Win2000 to Win XP SP2. So I'm quite sure it isn't a physical hardware problem (no pins damaged).
Make sure that the printers are pointed at a different port or uninstalled as these could be causing a driver conflict.
Of course, when I wrote my first post, I had already uninstalled all printers to make sure they weren't interfering.
What mode is the parallel port set to in the BIOS?
Sarah, what I was telling you in my first post was that I couldn't access any option of parallel port modes in the BIOS of my Compaq notebook because of its own limitations. Compaq Help desk told me that wasn't available in my BIOS version, and that there were no updates. Do you know of any program utility that would let me check and eventually change these port settings, apart from BIOS setup?

Anyway, I'm not quite convinced it's a hardware problem. How would you explain the BIOS settings haven't changed during the OS upgrade between Win2000 and Win XP SP2 (which would imply parallel port settings remain the same) and however ADC-212 worked fine before but is stucked now? Don't you think it could be a software bug in the way PicoScope administrates parallel port data exchange in Win XP SP2? Or do you think instead that Win2000 and Win XP SP2 assign different modes to parallel ports?

Hope hearing from you soon, thank you again!

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

Parallel problems

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Dal,

Just wanted to add some of my experience with this issue. I've set these up on many different computers. Some Windows OS don't seem to care what the BIOS settings are. They can be SPP, EPP, ECP, Unidirectional, Bidirectional, or whatever and work just fine.

However, I have not experienced this with XP SP2. Pico works great with XP SP2 but, in my experience, the BIOS had to be set to the recommended settings for PicoScope to use the parallel port.

So, although your BIOS settings may have not changed, the new OS may need them set differently. It's too bad that Compaq won't allow you to configure the BIOS. I have run into this before. I know you don't want to hear this but, if you can't re-configure the parallel port settings, the only solution is the USB adapter.

Maybe Sarah has another idea. I'm all ears. :shock:
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

Dal

Post by Dal »

Thank you Autonerdz for your experienced comments, maybe you're right about the USB adapter.

Unfortunately, there is one more problem. There are only 2 USB ports in the rear of my notebook, and these are too tight, one next to another. I'm already using one of them (mouse) and I just looked at the picture of the USB adapter in Picotech website, and it seems HUGE!!! I don't think I will be able to plug both of them (mouse + ADC 212). Maybe Sarah from PICO can post a set of more detailed pictures or sketches of the adapter from multiple views?

I think the only practical solution will be to go back to the previous Win2000 OS, but I'll wait for a last comment from Sarah. Maybe anyone of you guys have heard of any program utility that would let me check and eventually change these port settings, apart from BIOS setup? (maybe that's impossible!) Please let me know! Thank you again.

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

USB

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Dal,

My PC USB ports are the same way. The Pico USB adapter is 4x2x1 inch. It's not a problem getting plugged in though.

The USB adapter is designed to be placed between the ADC unit and the computer like this:

Plug in the gray parallel cable supplied in the kit into the ADC and secure with the screws on the cable.

Plug in the USB adapter on the other end of that cable, securing with the screws on the cable.

Insert the USB cable into the other end of the adapter and then into the USB port on the PC.

The software should already be installed and configured for USB PP1. If not, make sure it is set for USB PP1 under File/Setup/Converter and then close PicoScope. When you have the adapter ready to plug in to the PC USB port, make sure the ADC unit is powered up and then plug it in. Windows should configure the USB interface. If you are using XP then you'll get a message warning about unsigned drivers. Just ignore and continue. Now when you open up PicoScope it should be up and running.

As usual, be sure to disable any anti virus programs before installation
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your posts.

Yes the adaptor itself is a little chunky but as it is connected via a USB lead this does not matter - the actual bit that you plug in to the computer is no bigger than any other USB lead.

You are obviously welcome to go back to Win2000 OS but you might be able to find a utility to get access to the BIOS. I did once come across a boot disk that gave you such access, however I do not have a copy any longer. You might be able to get hold of one from somewhere.

Hope this helps

Best Regards