Pico.sys not found - old VB6 scrip running on Win7

Post your VB and VBA discussions here
Robimoo

Pico.sys not found - old VB6 scrip running on Win7

Post by Robimoo »

Hi,

I have been running a VB6 script that logs data with an ADC100 on my parallel port Windows XP machine for years. I have now had to upgrade to a Windows 7 machine but I get the following error ' Can not open ADC, Pico.sys not found'. I have even tried using the demo VB6 and Excel scripts that come in the Software development kit and get the same results. When I use the Picolog software I do not get any errors, it works fine.

Is there a problem with Windows 7 and the use of VB6 with the PICO .dll files and/or pico.sys ?

Am I missing something ?

Thanks for any help on this

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pico.sys not found - old VB6 scrip running on Win7

Post by Martyn »

Our parallel port devices will not work on 64bit O/S's there are no compatible drivers, so check what version of Windows 7 you are running.

Are you using a parallel port on the PC or an adapter ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Robimoo

Post by Robimoo »

Hi Martyn,

We are using a 32bit version and the parallel port is on the PC.

Thanks

Robin

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Which version of PicoLog are you using, and which version of the SDK do you have ?
Martyn

Robimoo

Post by Robimoo »

Hi,

I have versions R5.08.06, R5.21.8 and R5.23.0.

I think the SDK is 1.0.0, the same as off your site. I did not think there were any other versions.

Strangely enough, if I load the earlier version, I do not get the error message but the values from the ADC-100 are static and do not change with the input voltage. In fact they do not change even if I unplug the ADC-100.

Thanks

Robin

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Have you followed the PICOreadme instructions in the SDK to install pico.sys ?
Martyn

Robimoo

Post by Robimoo »

Yes. I have tried it with old and new versions.

I placed Pico.sys in c:\windows\system32\drivers and then went to the SDK directory and ran Regdrive with the comand line: C:\adc regdrive.exe pico
this gave the following response

Regdrive V2.0
Copyright Pico Technology Ltd 2007

It made no difference.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Can you try putting your VB6 program in the PicoLog directory and see if it will run from there.
Martyn

Robimoo

Post by Robimoo »

Hi,

Tried this. Still no go. I think actually there is something more fundamental going wrong on my machine. I thought I would load up the latest version of PicoLog again and check that it worked OK (which I thought it seemed to before). When I ran the program and set the channels, the actual voltage reading was not showing the correct values. When I moved the sensor attached (a displacement transducer), I saw an apparent change (which I had previously thought was evidence of the installation working), but in fact the change was only a small change and not linear. I had moved the actual input voltage from -2 to about +2v, but the reading on the Logger was showing only about 100mV change. So it actually looks like noise. It looks like there could be other issues here, maybe with the parallel port. The port is on a PCI card made by ASIX and it uses their driver. Not sure if there are any issues with this card. To confirm, I am on Win 7 32 bit.

Any ideas ?

thanks

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I would have a dig around in device manager to see how the parallel port is set up, it would need to be EPP or ECP not a printer port.
Martyn