Bode Plot with PicoScope ?

Which product is right for your exact requirements
audiotech

Re: Bode Plot with PicoScope ?

Post by audiotech »

What? No bode plots!?. I upgraded to a Picoscope with the intention of specifically using it for bode plots (I've been able to do this with competitors scopes for a long time). But I'm very dissapointed to find I can't do it. I'm returning the Picoscope to my distributor for a refund. I'd like to know when/if bode plots become available in the future. Thanks.

jane

Post by jane »

Any progress regarding the Bode plots?
It should have been very easy to implement this feature into the Pico-software: Sweep the signal generator from frequency x to frequency y, and sample the amplitude and phase of the signal..

JanE

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Not quite as easy as you suggest as it would require changes within the scopes not just in the Picoscope software. It remains on the wish list but there are other features and product developments that are higher priority.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

jane

Post by jane »

If the problem is related to the time stamping of the generated signal (to calculate phase) it could maybe be possible to sample the generated signal by lets say channel A while reading the DUT by channel B?

Not a perfect solution but that doesn't require changes within the scopes..

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I will feed this suggestion through to the development team although, as previously mentioned, there are many new features and product enhancements in the pipeline which have a higher priority.
Martyn

hexamer
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hexamer »

If anyone on this thread is interested, I started developing a tool to meet this need. See this thread for more details: http://www.picotech.com/support/topic14311.html

Folkert
User
User

Post by Folkert »

Pickung up this thread again after three years. It really surprises me that apparently nothing has happened. Or is Pico working with geological time scales? I am a poor programmer myself. Still, it is hard for me to imagine that it should be so difficult for Pico engineers to develop software for a Bode Plotter, taking account of the fact that the oscilloscope and generator codes are already in place.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Folkert,

PicoScope 6.10.2 Beta introduced a log x-axis feature for Spectrum mode which will allow you to have the magnitude component of a Bode plot.

I suspect the phase component may require a little more complex maths and will also involve sweeping through frequencies. The PicoScope models that have signal generators do not currently have the ability to output a log sweep of frequency.

I've added your comments to the feature request.

Regards,

fmartin

Post by fmartin »

I know that this topic is a bit old but maybe it could help...

I needed some fast poor man's Bode plots and I always has been using the FFT + persistence.
For the input, instead of frequency sweeping, if used white noise; it could be easier and faster due to the broad band spectrum nature, therefore, the input frequencies you try are more than with the frequency sweep (due to the finite frequency step size) and if the persistence mode is really short, you have chance to see really quick the Bode plot over more frequencies. At the end, it is the same idea as random sampling instead of uniform.
The only thing to remember is that, as the white noise should has zero means, the characterization at near DC frequencies is not valid.

I hope it can helps to anyone in a hurry :wink:

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

as mentioned earlier take a look at topic14311.html
Martyn