adc 212/100 update shot on long timebase

Post any questions about our parallel port products

adc 212/100 update shot on long timebase

Post by guest »

it was working just fine.
when i try to get a trace with base settings its ok.
if i try to set the time to 1 sec or more, it pauses fro a few seconds and then shows one inch of trace, a inch away from the right screen. next few seconds and it extends to i/2 the screen. few more sec andf it extends all the way across.
during this time, the pc does not respond well to any inputs. p.s. the light on the adc is off during this.
its ok at base settings, just gets wacked on longer timebases.
i tried my adc 212/3 and it works fine all the time[as the other one used to]
5.12.2 is the software with automotive option. ideas??

Post by Guest »

OOPS... make that a adc-212/50. so sorry.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post, I am sorry to hear that you have been seeing problems.

I tried this with %.11.8 and found that it was very slow to respond on the 1s timebase. However changing the slow sampling mode to "Standard" in Settings Options Advanced, got rid of the problem.

Does this help in your case? If not then let me know. I will investigate the other issue further.

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

you don't seem to understand the problem. i reset the scope settings to default in options/adv to level the playing field.
my 212/3 performs fine when choosing a 5 second trace at 100 mv range with none for trigger. it produces a steady slow trace starting from the right middle screen and slowly and steadily works its was to the left side of the screen.
i can pause the trace at any time with the pace bar or stop button.
i used to be able to get the same trace and control with my 212/50 until just recently.
now, if i try a timebase upwards of 5 sec, the pc locks up and will not respond to keyboard or mouse controls. the trace starts from the right but is very jerky with the the trace updating on the screen every 5-10 seconds instead of smoothly like it used to. if the 212/3 works fine with default settings and the 212/50 does not, am i having hardware problems that need repairs?
i can't even send you a picture of the defective trace because it locks up my pc and i have to have xp end the program.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

The problem may not be hardware. Whilst the ADC-212/3 and ADC-212/50 are both from the 212 range, they are different units and the software recognises that they are different units and thus treats them differently. Therefore it is entirely possible that a software bug could affect the ADC-212/50 and not the ADC-212/3. It is better to investigate and see if this is a software issue before looking at the hardware.

Did the ADC-212/50 used to work on that version of software or is it related to after you upgraded? If you try the Standard mode, does this help?

If you can supply me with answers to the above then this will help me to determine where the problem lies and we can then see if it is necessary to send the unit back for repair.

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

i saw the post in software about the adc 212/100 with a similar problem being a bug in the newest software. i reinstalled my pico scope automotive software recently with the newest upgrade. maybe thats where the bug came from.
i,m going to try to reinstall from my origional system disc and try just the pico scope without the auto first [although it seems the new pico scope software may be the bug]
i want to backup my waveforms i have saved and i forgot where to find that folder.......thankx,ray.

Post by Guest »

hey, i know! i'll look in the folder i made to hold them. DOH!
actually, i got confused with my ease scantool software which i have just found the awnser to that question.

Post by Guest »

nutz.
i just uninstalled the software and installed the disc ver 5.11.6 that came with my pico 212-3 and i have the same problem still.
i seem to remember getting a update for the 212-50 to function on my 212-3 version software?
i'm kind of lost as what to do next.

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

Long Time Base Sampling

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi,

When you have more than 100ms/div selected and running in Standard Mode or Chart Recorder Mode, the max sample rate is 1KHz and probably much slower. Data streams to the PC and the ADC doesn't use it's internal memory to store data. During this time the PC gets quite busy and if it has other tasks to perform gaps in the data may occur and the PC may appear to lock up (depending on the PC)

Since you only have this issue at the longer time bases, I suggest you use Block Mode. This will make the ADC store the data in it's internal memory and transfer the information to the PC in blocks. There will be no gaps in the collected data and the PC does not affect it. This should solve the problem. You will also be able to run at full sample rates and collect many more samples for a better waveform resolution.

At the faster time bases, the mode has no real effect, but as soon as you put more than one second on the screen the mode is everything. Try it, you'll like it 8)
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

Post by Guest »

unfortunately, autonerdz, my friend, you cannot see what i am dealing with and it is hard to describe.
i am lucky enough to have both a -3 and a -50 and i love the -50's long buffer.
just recently, it won't work on anything slower than about 200 ms
the -3 still works fine in .5,1,5 etc seconds time mode.
it draws a line starting from the right middle screen and plots along steadly to the left according to the timebase chosen in recorder mode with a sample rate of 25000.
if i try the same settings on the -50, the pc freezes and my first display of any kind takes several seconds and i get a one frame line that appears each time exactly one frame from the right end center of screen.
then it takes 5-30 seconds depending on time base and the line appears suddenly and extends halfway across the screen.
after many more seconds, it jumps all the way across without warning.
if you saw it, you would know something is wacked.
block mode makes it worse. chart mode with a sample rate of 2500 improves the lockup problem but it still jerks across the screen.

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

samples

Post by Autonerdz »

The samples you select will have no effect at the long time bases in Chart or Standard modes.

To get the samples at the long time bases you must be in Block. You say Block is worse? How does it behave in Block Mode? Each screen should appear all at once as the Blocks are received. The ADC light will flash with each acquisition. The samples you get will be dependent on the time base and how high you have them turned up. You can actually use the measurements to display the number of samples collected.

Are you using the latest 5.12.03 auto software?
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
In North America

Post by Guest »

so i put the -50 into block mode with 25000 samples [my default] and ran it at 1 sec per div.
the screen updates 1 time every 14 seconds???? tell me thats not wacked!

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

Experiments

Post by Autonerdz »

Ok it's wacked alright. :roll:

I have those models here and ran some tests with the new 5.12.03 software. At times over 100ms/div I found both Standard and Chart Recorder mode completely non functional with the 212/50. On the 212/3, Chart recorder was ok but Standard mode captured one screen and stopped.

In Block mode all was fine on both models. With the samples at 25,000 on a one second screen using the 212/50 screen updated in just under two seconds. So, I don't know what's happening there on your end. Are you using parallel or a USB converter?

The 3423 four channel performed as expected in all modes at the long time bases
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
In North America

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

If you would like to return the scope to us for repair then you can do. You will need to get a returns number, so if you can send us your full contact details by email to tech@picotech.com and a link to this thread (so we know the history) then we will issue you with a returns number.

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

i'm using a parallel connector.
i'll be contacting pico to get a rma so i can let them test it to see whats goofy.