bug report: wrong number of samples

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
stevenvh

bug report: wrong number of samples

Post by stevenvh »

I select 10kS, but PicoScope shows 15,000 samples in the Properties windows, and also applies this number. Changing the number of samples has no effect to the Properties window: remains at 15,000.
2015-03-22 18-34-36.png

Hitesh

Re: bug report: wrong number of samples

Post by Hitesh »

Hi stevenvh,

My understanding is that this is by design in the software.

Capturing at very slow rates can cause problems such as a very long delay when starting sampling (it also relates to the trigger circuit).

I will update a feature request relating to this.

Regards,

stevenvh

Post by stevenvh »

Thanks Hitesh. Your explanation seems to make sense: it happens for all sample counts less than or equal to 10,000, and doesn't occur at 100ms/div or less. I can understand that missing the trigger could be a bad thing, but I think you (PicoTech) should trust that an engineer knows how to operate a scope, and allow her to make the settings she wants.
In my case I'm working with no trigger and I wanted 10kSamples over a 10 second period (1s/div), so that would be a nice 1 ms/sample. Instead I get 0.667ms/sample.

A solution could be to place a warning icon next to the selected number of samples when the sample rate becomes too slow. Clicking the icon could show a dialog where the user could override her choice and go for the minimum of 15,000. That number could go in the system preferences.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

If you go to Tools->Preferences->Sampling and change the Slow Sampling Transition time to say 10s/div, you will be able to capture 10000 samples at 1s/div with 1ms sample interval. The scope will be operating in block mode where it captures the data to it's buffer before transferring to the PC, however you will not be able to see the trace update live on the screen.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager