Sampling rate: one instance vs. two instances of recorder

Forum for discussing PicoLog
beeep

Sampling rate: one instance vs. two instances of recorder

Post by beeep »

Hey everyone,

I am using two TC-08 data loggers (using all 16 channels) on the same pc and I would like to get the fastest possible sampling rate. I am thinking about logging the data separately in two instances of the PicoLog recorder, but I am not sure how exactly that is different from logging the data from both devices in one single instance of the recorder.

When I use one single instance of the recorder, are all 16 channels read sequentially, i.e. it takes 16x100ms=1600ms for all channels to read? Or are the channels from the two devices logged in parallel, i.e. it takes 8x100ms=800ms to read all channels? And how does that work when using two instances of the PicoLog recorder?

Could anyone help me with this question? Thanks :)

beeep

Re: Sampling rate: one instance vs. two instances of recorde

Post by beeep »

Okay, I'm just wondering if my question really is so stupid it doesn't even deserve a reply? If so, just let me know (no offense taken) and I'll go figure it out by myself.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi beeep,

Your question is definitely valid :)

If you use one instance of the software, the readings will be taken from each device in parallel. Please note that it will actually take 900ms before the next reading is taken from Channel 1 when all channels are enabled as the Cold Junction Compensation is taken into account.

The 100ms conversion time is due to the fact that the reading needs to settle to it's final value.

When using two instances of PicoLog recorder, there should not be any difference - as above, the readings for each individual device will be taken sequentially, but each device itself will be addressed in parallel.

Hope this provides suitable clarification for you. :)

beeep

Post by beeep »

Thank you for your reply, Hitesh. Definitely helped me a lot :)