New feature idea: triggering on serial decoded bytes

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
Gustav

New feature idea: triggering on serial decoded bytes

Post by Gustav »

Hi Pico tech,

This is just a idea to make a great product greater: I guess that there are many like me, how use your serial decoding alot.

Typically, data is comming in packets with a header. It would be great if the trigger could work on a set of bytes.

Example: You know that each packet start with 0xEF 0xEF.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New feature idea: triggering on serial decoded bytes

Post by Martyn »

Gustav,
We are currently working on serial decoding so I will feed your suggestions to the development team.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

p8062001

Post by p8062001 »

Hi Picotech

Is this feature integrate in the current version of March 2015 ?

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi p8062001,

The current version of PicoScope 6 (6.10.11) does not have this feature. Our Development Team have been notified about your enquiry.

Regards,

Mark_O
Advanced

Post by Mark_O »

p8062001,
Is this feature integrate in the current version of March 2015 ?
No, that was requested only 3 years ago. The Dev Team hasn't gotten around to it yet. ;)

But to be fair, it should be noted that the hardware has no capability to do what was requested. I.e., it simply can't trigger on decoded data, because the decoding is done in software.

What the software could do though is process the recorded data stream post-acquisition, and during display break up the data into "packets", based on a set of user-specified delimiters. So if each started or ended with specific values, that could make things a lot more readable. I suspect quite a few users would find that valuable.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

As has been mentioned hardware triggering is not possible.

It is possible to use the Filter function in the table to display specific packets matched to each of the headings, and by using the accumulate function this could be performed over an extended time frame.

The idea of displaying packets in the window view according to user settings is a good idea, so I will pass this information on to the team.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager