Installation of picoscope on Raspberry Pi 2

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
simon_d

Installation of picoscope on Raspberry Pi 2

Post by simon_d »

Hello,

I'm trying to install the picoscope driver/software package (for Picoscope 2205MSO) on the Raspberry Pi 2.
I'm not sure which repository to use - the raspbian or the debian variant? The Raspberry Pi 2 seems to use armhf architecture, like in the debian repos.

My first problems installing are the following: The versions of the picoscope software (in the debian repo) depends on newer versions of the drivers than available, so I can only try to install the bare driver and compile the software in the doc folder (as described in topic14649.html).

The compilation aborts with an error message "libps2000a missing". libps2000a.so.2 as well as libps2000a.so.2.0.0 are found by ldconfig, but libps2000a.so not - although libps2000a.so.2.0.0 is symlinked as libps2000a.so and libps2000a.so.2 in the same way. I tried it both with the packages from the raspbian and the debian repos, with the same results.

Any ideas how to get it working?

mario_
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Installation of picoscope on Raspberry Pi 2

Post by mario_ »

Hi Simon,

If you're trying to run PicoScope 6 for Linux on Raspberry Pi 2 - it will not work. Release PicoScope is not ready yet to run on ARM devices, and frankly, hard to say if it ever going to be.

About the drivers, first you need use correct repository. You can run ordinary Debian (Jessie) on RPi2, where Raspbian drivers won't work. And if you are running Raspbian - drivers from default repository won't work.

You may also experience problems with libopencv - as resolved in the following post.

Alternatively - please provide config.log and we can see further what is going on.

Mario

simon_d

Post by simon_d »

Hi Mario,

thanks for the fast answer!

Now I got the driver working and the application compiled - indeed, the problem was libopencv (I found the correct error message in config.log, the error message at the console was misleading).

I used the packages from debian jessie on RPi2 (with Raspbian), so far it seems to work.

It's sad to hear that PicoScope for Linux (Release) won't run on ARM devices (although there is a package in the debian repo). Is there any other GUI, or a beta or older version (maybe with reduced functionality) working with the ARM drivers? That would be cool.

Simon

mario_
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mario_ »

Hi Simon,

libopencv problems took us by surprise. We are preparing next release to address this issue by providing static compilation removing requirements for libopencv. Also on that subject, integrated performance primitives library (which is libopencv in case of ARM base releases) is one of the difficulties getting PicoScope6 to RPi. It is quite difficult and time intensive task to provide same level of functionality as it in place on origin x86 (where we use Intel IPP). Other Problem is mono... Mono packages provided by either Rasbian or default Debian ARM are not complete. We tried stripping down PicoScope 6 functions to the absolute minimum not impaired by lack of support from system libraries - but in the end we have decided it is not viable for the release in that shape.

Mario

vogi

Post by vogi »

Hi Simon

I have the same purpose, picoscope with 2205 on raspberry pi. If you have any solutions, I would be glad to know them.

Walter