Pico PT 104

Which product is right for your exact requirements
David Le Mesurier

Pico PT 104

Post by David Le Mesurier »

We are looking for a temperature logger with accuract of 0.01 C and are considering your PT 104.

I see from the probsection of your site that the probes are quite large, do you do any probes which are small, i.e a wire with just the probe itself on teh end rather than teh long metal pice as well?

How long can teh cable from teh logger to teh PC be, and is it possibel to have this attach to teh PC as USB

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

We ourselves do not stock any probes other than the ones you have seen on our website. Kalestead however stock a large variety of probes and would be able to help you find what you are looking for. Their website is www.kalestead.co.uk

The cable from the PC should nto be too long as it is RS232 and the unit needs to draw power down the cable. You can however use an RS232 to USB adaptor and then use it on USB.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

David Le Mesurier

Post by David Le Mesurier »

Thank you for the information on the probes.

If I use a USB cable with converter, what length can I go up to whilst maintaing the accuracy, I need maybe 4 - 5 meters

David

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi David

Thank you for your post.

We do not give exact figures regarding possible cable lengths as this will depend on the cable quality and other factors. I would suggest that 4 to 5 meters would probably be fine.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

nflatjord

Accuracy temp. measurement with long cable

Post by nflatjord »

Hello,

I need to measure the Helium temperature inside an airship with an accuracy of 0.1K, and I am considering using your PT-104 unit for this. The sensor itself needs to be placed about 15m away from the computer, in "outdoor" conditions (possibly high relative humidity, maybe rain, temperature possibly -20 to +50 degrees).

Could I use a 15m cable to the probe and still get 0.1K accuracy or would I need to place the PT-104 in an IP54 box inside the hull?
(Power and serial signal should not be a problem in this case, since I could use a RS232/RS485 converter and supply power on separate wires to the converter)

Thanks,
Nils Ove Flatjord

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello Nils,

Thank you for your post.

You should be able to place the sensor outside the hull with the PT104 inside and use an extension cable. Make sure you use good quality shielded cable to prevent interference. Ground the shield at one end and keep the cables away from other electrical cables for best performance.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum