Multiple TC-08 with single serial port on PC (no USB)

Post any questions about our serial port products
Ihsan Akyuz

Multiple TC-08 with single serial port on PC (no USB)

Post by Ihsan Akyuz »

I am using a TC-08 data logger with RS-232 output and I want to use multiple modules. My notebook has a single serial port (no USB) and I want to use two TC-08 units simultaneously. Is there a solution? (like using RS-232 to RS-485 converters on both of the units and 485 to 232 converter back to the serial port of the PC. Or any other simpler and cheaper way)
Your immediate reply will be highly appreciated.
Ihsan Akyuz

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

I cannot think of any way round this really - you need to have a seperate port for each unit, either serial, or a serial which is on USB. If you have none of these then the only other thing I could think of would be trying to source a PCIA card with serial expansion on it. This would need to supply the correct voltages to the TC-08, if it didn't then the unit would not work.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your speed actually.

In that case, I can install a PCMCIA card with two USB 2 ports on my notebook. And I can use USB-RS232 converters. Then will the two units (TC-08 serial) work together, if I also make a proper external power supply for the units? (By the way, my std. power supply has +15V, GND, -15V terminals. Is it okey or should the voltages be lower?)

What about breaking a new speed record (on a Saturday)!
Thank you in advance.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your speed actually.

In that case, I can install a PCMCIA card with two USB 2 ports on my notebook. And I can use USB-RS232 converters. Then will the two units (TC-08 serial) work together, if I also make a proper external power supply for the units? (By the way, my std. power supply has +15V, GND, -15V terminals. Is it okey or should the voltages be lower?)

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

You can use a USB2 card. In this case you might find it easier to use USB TC-08 units instead so that you don't need to adaptor.

The USB unit also needs power - it takes 500mA from the USB port so these will need to be powered ports. Likewise the Serial TC-08 needs power - it would normally need +7V and -7V on the correct pins from the serial port. The 15V you mention would be too much.

Hope this helps

Best Regards