libps3000a.so segfault

Discussion forum for the Picoscope 6 Linux software
tobczo

Re: libps3000a.so segfault

Post by tobczo »

Dear Mario,

I have just realized, that the picoscopes are plugged into a usb 1.1 port.

Could that cause the problems?

mario_
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mario_ »

Hi Tobiasz,

Port type should not matter, libusb guards the driver from those variations.

Good news btw, I managed to get exception 11 - which is segment not found. And when it occurs, virtual memory of the process is close to hardware available. It was harder for me to observe it, as I'm running 64bit machine with 16GB of RAM. After your last post I tried to run the same on 32 bit machine and was able to receive crash around 57th loop. Virtual memory mapped by the process was near 4GB.

Exception 11 comes from CPU, there is nothing much we can do about but catch it. Yet after that driver crashes on something else. I need to run more tests (and use some valgrind magic) to identify the leak. In mean time, would it be possible for you to dload/dlunload lips3000a between cycles? I imagine it should free resources allocated by the driver.

Try again and observe virtual memory usage (using tool like top or similar) to confirm if you are experiencing same issue.

Mario

tobczo

Post by tobczo »

Dear Mario,

great news!

Actually, we have entered a "production phase", and I am not allowed to change the configuration now.
My solution is to keep the connection with picoscopes. So I just don't disconnect after each measurement.
I have 4 picoscopes read-out by a PC and one by Raspberry Pi. They have been successfully working for the last 1.5 week.

I hope you find solution to "exception 11" issue soon.
Good luck!

Tobiasz