Inability to obtain updated software via download

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
Doug S.

Inability to obtain updated software via download

Post by Doug S. »

Hellow from Everett, WA, USA!
I have an ADC 212/3 Automotive kit and have not downloaded new software since 5.10.03. Now that 5.11.08 is available, I haven't been successful in downloading it from the Pico Automotive site. Tom from Autonerdz has been gracious enough to "loan" me his download instructions and information so I can get up to date with my software. Is there a way I can get my ability to download the software back? I have put in my request twice. I am using Mozilla Firefox as my primary browser with Win98SE. I also do have (and tried) getting the software via IE6. I have given the information requested (name, scope serial #, e-mail address) all to no avail. Is there something else I need to do to get back the ability to download newer software. :?:
Thank you for your assistance,
Doug S.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Doug

Thank you for your post, I am sorry to hear that you have been seeing these problems.

I am not too sure why you should not be able to download the software. However, as it works by sending out an email I would ensure that your email settings are not blocking out emails. You may have a junk filter which is deleting it, so I would ensure that this is not the case.

Let me know if this doesn't help. We may be able to send you a CD copy instead.

Best Regards

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

Email Blocking

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Doug,

Sara is probably right. Since the system is sending the email, it's probably being blocked from you.

The widespread practice of blocking email has really gotten out of control. Many people think that blocked email ends up in their spam folder. This is not true, if your internet provider elects to block your mail at the server level. This prevents email from ever reaching any folders at all. You will never know what you are being prevented from reading.

I deal with these problems often. What is blocked has nothing to do with the content or importance of the mail. Even E-commerce receipts are blocked sometimes. If you ever receive important email, you can't have an ISP that engages in this practice.

AOL is notorious for this practice and most users have no idea that this is being done outside of their control. Your ISP does this too.

The server block list changes and evolves, so what you do not receive now, you may in the future. Also what you receive now may also be blocked later. You'll never know what you are not receiving unless someone tells you.

The only fix for this problem is to get another ISP. Choose one that enables YOU to be in control of what you will be allowed to receive.
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America