Overnight monitoring with transient event capture

Post any questions about our parallel port products
Draco

Overnight monitoring with transient event capture

Post by Draco »

Hi,

I am looking for a data logger to record the current into a power semicon device with the intention of detecting transients of <100ms in duration.

I am looking at your ADC212/50 or 212/100 as possible candidates - would it be possible to use one channel for monitoring the dc level at a releatively slow sample rate and the other channel for detecting (and the software for storing) any transients which occur?

If I have to use one channel to keep the sample speed high enough to catch the fast transients, how much dead time is there when the logger uploads its memory to the host pc?

Voltage levels including transients will be within the specified input range.

Best Regards,

Draco

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

Firstly, it is impossible to give an exact figure of upload times for the ADC-212/50 and ADC-212/100. If we transfer back the full 128K buffer then:

for both channels this requires 768K four bit reads which will take about 7.68 seconds

for one channel this requires 384K four bit reads which will take about 3.84 seconds

This can vary though depending on the computer, you might not be always downloading the full buffer.

It is possible to stream at slow speeds with our USB2 PS3000 series which gets around this problem.

With regards using the 2 channels differently, this is possible but you would need to use one piece of sotware only and I would therefore recommend Picolog so that you can record the readings. You could not however set the software to just pick up the transients, you would instead need to have it constantly recording and go back over this to find the transients.

Hope this helps

Best Regards