Simultaneous use of PicoLog and PicoScope

Forum for discussing PicoLog
Doc Pete
User
User

Simultaneous use of PicoLog and PicoScope

Post by Doc Pete »

Hi

I have been using an ADC212-100 and PicoScope with an Endevco uniaxial piezoelectric accelerometer and charge amplifier/signal conditioner for some time now, and am delighted with the performance, portability, etc. I now want to upgrade to a triaxial setup, but of course, the converter supports only two channels, and I am considering purchasing a second ADC212-100. As I understand, only one instance of PicoScope can run on one computer. I also understand that PicoLog must run in real time mode (sample @ 1 ms) if more than one channel is active. I need to sample at least 10 kHz, which would require burst mode.

My question is: Can one instance of PicoScope (2 channels) and one instance of PicoLog (1 channel in burst mode) run simultaneously on a single (sufficiently fast) computer, while servicing two ADC212's?

Thank you :?

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

I do not think it would be possible to run 2 ADC-212s at the same time with different software as they are still using the same driver and I don't think this allows you to run more than one unit at a time.

If they were different units then it could work as they would be using different drivers, however the ADC-212s would both need to use the adc20032.dll driver at the same time and I do not think this is possible.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Doc Pete
User
User

Simultaneous use of two converters

Post by Doc Pete »

Sarah wrote:Hi

Thank you for your post.

I do not think it would be possible to run 2 ADC-212s at the same time with different software as they are still using the same driver and I don't think this allows you to run more than one unit at a time.

If they were different units then it could work as they would be using different drivers, however the ADC-212s would both need to use the adc20032.dll driver at the same time and I do not think this is possible.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Hi

Thank you for the very prompt reply. This is encouraging. Could you please tell me which converters would use a different driver, so that I could choose one and possibly implement this scheme? The ADC-212 is clearly overkill for my application, and a somewhat slower sampling rate would work.

By the way, if I use an appropriately different second converter, am I still prevented from running two instances of PicoScope?

Thank you in advance. :)

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

The ADC-200, ADC-212 and ADC-216 scopes all use the adc20032.dll driver, therefore you would need a second scope which isn't any of these. For example our PS3204 which is part of the PS3000 range.

If you are looking specifically for an oscilloscope then I would definately recommend the PS3000 range with an ADC2xx scope. However if believe a data logger would be enough then you might like to consider the ADC-11.

With two different scopes you still could not have two instances of Picoscope, however you could run Picoscope and Picolog at the same time.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Road & Track
User
User

Post by Road & Track »

Sarah wrote:With two different scopes you still could not have two instances of Picoscope, however you could run Picoscope and Picolog at the same time.
Hi,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I am interested in doing this.

I want to run (simultaneously on the same PC) PicoLog with a USB ADC-11 data logger, and PicoScope with a 3424 scope in order that I may log a high speed pulse at the same time as several slow changing channels. Is this possible?

The Australian sales agent thought not, but perhaps you can clarify.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

It would be possible in Real Time Continuous Mode. This mode enables you to use multiple loggers but will not sample faster than 1 per millisecond. Is this fast enough? If you wish to go faster then you can only use one unit at a time.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Road & Track
User
User

Post by Road & Track »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. For the slow channels 1 per millisecond is more than enough. However the fast channel needs to be at least 10 per millsecond.

Can I run this fast channel to PicoScope at this sort of rate while running the slower channels to PicoLog?

Michael
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Michael »

Hello,

You can run the 3223 in PicoScope and the ADC11 in PicoLog at the same time.

Best regards,
Michael
Michael - Tech Support
Pico Technology
Web Support Forum