Should I Go PC, Then..?

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, and what you do
newcoppiceman

Should I Go PC, Then..?

Post by newcoppiceman »

I'm replacing my very basic 1986-vintage Hameg HM 203-6 'scope.

I've had a Hameg/R&S HMO2024 on loan for evaluation, and an Agilent/Keysight MSOX3054A. I also spent a couple of hours at Tek in Bracknell, UK putting one of their MSO3000 series 'scopes through its paces - and looking in particular at how well it displays TV waveforms, the subtleties of which, it seems, can be a challenge for modern 'scopes. (I’m a retired broadcast engineer - BBC/Channel 4 - so my natural home would be Tek, I guess.)

I stopped-by the Picotech stand at EDS 2014, Coventry, UK in October but having eschewed PC-scopes at the outset – and very nearly settling on the Hameg - I thought I should properly check out Picotech and have also stumbled across Link Instruments in the US.

Can anyone advise whether (as I hope and presume) I can fully and easily operate the PicoScope 6 software using either a touchscreen monitor alone, or a standard monitor with a mouse (ie no keyboard)?

Thanks

Hitesh

Re: Should I Go PC, Then..?

Post by Hitesh »

Hi newcoppiceman,

The PicoScope 6 software is normally operated through use of a mouse with a keyboard required for some aspects such as setting maths channel or file names.

Some of the components in the software might not be suitable for a touchscreen display with a small screen size due to the size of the icons, although you might be able to use a stylus for control.

What size of screen and display resolution would you be looking to use?

The PicoScope 6 oscilloscope software is compatible with Windows XP (SP3), Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 (not Windows RT) so you could download the software and run it in Demonstration mode to evaluate it.

Please visit our Software Downloads page to download PicoScope 6:

http://www.picotech.com/software.html

In the drop-down for Step 1, select 'PicoScope 2204A'.

In Step 2 select 'PicoScope R6.10.6 for Windows XP (SP3)/Vista/7/8'.

Click the 'Download R6.10.6' button when it appears.

I hope this helps.